Welcome new students
Preparing To Move
We know you are anticipating the big move and so is Longwood. There are a few things to know before even arriving at Longwood that will help ensure a smooth process.
- Make sure you have contacted your roommate(s)
- Roommates should decide on who's bringing what to help reduce clutter
- Check the list of things to bring to help with packing
- Check the list of things not to bring to ensure that you won't be in violation of any campus policies
- Check your move-in day and time
- View the suggested areas to park during move-in
- Do not come before or after your suggested move in date and time, unless approved. View the early and late arrival policies.
For more information or answers to any questions you may have about the move in process, view the housing office's frequently asked questions.
Since we want to be fully prepared for your arrival, housing staff has allocated specific student move-in times and expectations. In an effort to reduce general move-in congestion and demand for elevators, students must move-in according to which floor he/she is assigned. Please be sure to check your move-in day and time. If you are involved with a university-sanctioned program (campus job, athletics, campus organization, etc), please follow the check-in instructions provided by the program coordinator.
Making Move-In a Smooth Process
A special program, called Movers & Shakers, will bring nearly 100 student organization volunteers to campus in order to assist you on move-day (This service only functions on new student move-in days). The program provides assistance in carrying your belongings up to their rooms. The elevators are often highly congested so please try to keep boxes light to make it easier to carry upstairs.
- Bring a handcart or dolly
- Label all bags and boxes
- Plan to unload your vehicle and then park it before moving in to reduce congestion
- Be patient!
While You're Here...
Walking Tour of Historic Farmville
The best way to enjoy Farmville’s history is to see it for yourself. Download the walking tour of Historic Farmville (pdf, 6MB) and experience Farmville at your own pace.
Farmville is located in Virginia’s heartland and we’re not just saying that. The exact geographical center of Virginia is located in nearby Buckingham County. Almost anywhere in Virginia is a short drive away.
- Richmond (64 mi)
- Lynchburg (47 mi)
- Blacksburg (135 mi)
- Harrisonburg (121 mi)
- Washington, DC (171 mi)
- Lexington (92 mi)
- Charlottesville (76 mi)
- Roanoke (102 mi)
- Norfolk (149 mi)
- Williamsburg (114 mi)
- Virginia Beach (158 mi)
- Danville (88 mi)
- Raleigh, NC (140 mi)