Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Settings
These instructions use the Windows WZC to configure and manage wireless.
Many of the Longwood Dells currently use Intel ProSet for wireless. If you are unsure you go to Start > Programs and see if Intel Proset is on your list of installed programs.
Prerequisites: Please make sure you currently are running Service Pack 3. To find out right-click My Computer and click Properties. The service pack is listed under System. If you need to, update your service pack (Note: this could take up to one hour to download and install). To install the certificate download it to a location on your computer and then double click it and choose Install. Choose all the defaults by clicking Next until you reach Finish.
- Navigate to Start > Settings > Network Connections
- If you previously used Longwood's Wireless you may wish to remove the Wireless VPN. To do so right-click the VPN and click Delete. You will also need to delete any shortcuts on the desktop that refer to the VPN
- To setup a new wireless network, right-click your wireless connection and choose Properties.
- Go to the Wireless Networks tab. Choose Add to create a new network.
- For the network name type LancerNet and check Connect even if this network is not broadcasting. For network authentication choose WPA2 and for data encryption choose AES. Then navigate to the Authentication tab at the top.
- Choose Protected EAP (PEAP) for the EAP type and click Properties.
- Uncheck the box to the left of Validate Server certificate and click Configure beside the Secured password box.
- Uncheck the box to Automatically use my Windows logon..
Click OK on all open windows. After a few seconds (if you are in an area that receives wireless) you will have a popup requesting logon credentials
Double-click the popup to open the logon window. Enter your LancerNet ID and Password. Leave the domain blank.
Another popup in the lower right-hand corner will request acceptance of certificate information. Click that popup and click OK to accept this certificate permanently.
You are now connected to Longwood's LancerNet Wireless Network!
Disabling Intel Proset Wireless Manager
This guide will allow you to disable the Intel Proset Wireless Manager. Other wireless cards may have different settings but the basic instructions will still apply. If you still have problems please contact the Helpdesk at (434)395-4357 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Navigate to Start > Programs > Intel Proset Wireless > Intel Proset Wireless
Choose Advanced > Use Windows to Manage Wifi and close out the program
You may now continue with the wireless setup instructions at the top of the page using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service.