What is the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE)?
The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) was created in 2000 to assess the extent to which students report engaging in educational practices associated with high levels of learning and development. The revised 2013 NSSE includes forty-seven items that comprise ten Engagement Indicators categorized within four engagement themes, in addition to six items that are reported separately as High-Impact Practices.
Experiences with Faculty
Since its implementation in 2000, more than 1,554 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada have administered the NSSE; 621 institutions and 371,284 participated in 2013.
How does Longwood use the NSSE?
The NSSE has been administered at Longwood on a three-year cycle since 2002 and will be repeated again Spring 2014 with the revised 2013 version. So that results can be aggregated across colleges and other sub-groups, all 1,146 first-year and 754 senior bachelor’s degree-seeking students at Longwood will comprise the NSSE 2014 population file including any part-time, commuting, and distance education students who meet credit hour requirements.
The NSSE takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. Each student who completes the NSSE by March 24, 2014 will be entered into a drawing for one grand prize award of $150 Lancer Cash and three additional awards of $50 Lancer Cash. Signed by Drs. Perkins and Pierson, students will receive email notifications from firstname.lastname@example.org on the following dates:
- Invitation: Tues, Feb 11, 2014
- Reminder 1: Wed, Feb 19, 2014
- Reminder 2: Thurs, Feb 27, 2014
- Reminder 3: Tues, March 11, 2014
- Final Reminder: Mon, March 17, 2014
- Close Survey: Mon, March 24, 2014
In the summer of 2014, Longwood will receive survey results that include direct responses as well as nationally normed summaries organized across the ten Engagement Indicators and Four Themes. Onie McKenzie, the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs will prepare summary reports and presentations that will be shared in the fall of 2014 with various campus stake holders.
NSSE 2011 Longwood-Generated Reports
- NSSE 2011 Consolidated Report (pdf)
- NSSE 2005, 2008, & 2011 Mean Comparisons (pdf)
- NSSE 2011 Item Frequencies (pdf)
NSSE 2011 Generated Reports
- NSSE 2011 Benchmark Comparisons Report (pdf)
- NSSE 2011 Student Experience in Brief (pdf)
- NSSE Multi-Year Benchmark Report (pdf)
- NSSE 2011 Mean & Frequency Reports (pdf)
- NSSE 2011 Executive Snapshot (pdf)