Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Self Assignment

What is Self Assignment?

Self Assignment is an online registration process. Continuing residential students have the opportunity to designate 1 roommate who is in charge of obtaining an assignment for their group. This person is known as the "designated roommate" for main campus registration or "designated housemate" for apartment registration. This student needs to gather the required information from his/her roommates/housemates to register the group for the apartment unit or residence hall unit.  Additional instructions regarding the necessary information will be provided to students in early January.

The student housing gateway allows the designated roommate/housemate to choose the location of assignment rather than indicating a preference for housing. Once the assignment is chosen, the designated roommate/housemate assigns his/her roommates/housemates to their desired beds then chooses their meal plans based on the information previously gathered. These room and meal plan assignments are confirmed before the designated roommate/housemate walks away from the computer.

*If necessary, assignments can and will be facilitated or revised at the discretion of RCL.


 What is full occupancy?

Full occupancy indicates every bed space within a chosen assignment must be occupied by a continuing residential student. This means students who register during our Apartment or Main Campus registration processes must have enough individuals to fill the assignment location in order to register for the apartment unit or residence hall room.  Full occupancy is required to register for an apartment or a residence hall room.  The only exception to this full occupancy requirement is during the squatting process at Longwood Village.

For Example:
• Landings 4 BR Apartment - designated housemate must have information from 3 other current residential students.
• Longwood Village 4 Person Apartment - designated housemate must have information from 3 other current residential students.
• Main Campus Triple Room - designated housemate must have information from 2 other current residential students.
• Main Campus Double Room - designated housemate must have information from 1 other current residential students.


How do I "pull in" a roommate?

During housing registration, the designated roommate will have the opportunity log into the student housing gateway and to pull in other current residential students that they wish to live with them. The designated housemate will either be the student that is squatting the apartment or the student with the higher number of credits.

For example, if student A is currently living in LWV 100B and the student is squatting the apartment, this student is the designated roommate and will assign all 4 students to the apartment on the appropriate date for squatters. Another example is if a rising Senior wants to room with a rising Junior, then the rising Senior would be the designated roommate and would register themselves and roommates for housing on the appropriate date for rising Seniors.

Who is eligible to live in the Longwood Managed apartment communities?

All current residential students that have not submitted an off-campus intent form are eligible to live in:

2-bedroom apartments at Lancer Park and Lancer Park North and South
4-bedroom apartments at the Landings, Lancer Park, and Lancer Park North and South
4-person apartments at Longwood Village

Only Rising Juniors and Seniors are permitted to participate in the housing lottery for assignment to a Studio apartment at Lancer Park and a Studio apartment at the Landings.  Therefore, students must have earned at least 56 recognized Longwood credits at the conclusion of the spring 2015 semester to be eligible to register for a Studio apartment.



When do I register for housing?

Please review the detailed schedule regarding housing registration dates.   If you have any questions regarding when you are eligible to register for housing, please attend a housing information session (See dates and times below) or contact the RCL office at housing@longwood.edu or 434-395-2080.

Housing Registration Timeline



How do I learn more about the housing registration process, off-campus intent process, or find a roommate?

RCL recommends that all students attend an information session to learn more about the housing processes and/or find a roommate.
Please save the date and attend one of these sessions:

Apartment Registration & Off Campus Housing Intent Information Sessions

Date & Time: Tuesday, January 20th at 4pm.
Location: Student Union Ballroom

Date & Time: Wednesday, January 21st at 7pm.
Location: Student Union A Room

Apartment Registration Information Sessions

Date & Time: Tuesday, February 3rd at 7pm.
Location: Student Union A Room

Date & Time: Wednesday, February 4th at 9pm.
Location: Student Union A Room

Main Campus Registration Information Sessions

Date/Time: Tuesday, February 24th at 4pm
Location: Student Union Ballroom

Date/Time: Wednesday, February 25th at 7pm
Location: Student Union A Room

Date/Time: Wednesday, March 11th at 9pm
Location: Student Union A Room


If I am currently a commuter student, can I participate in the self-assignment housing registration process?

No.  The housing registration process is ONLY for continuing residential students.  Only students currently living in one of the main campus residence halls or in the Longwood managed apartment communities are eligible to participate.  Due to the increased demands for Longwood managed housing, the RCL office is unable to allow current commuter students the opportunity to live in Longwood managed housing.  Those students with additional questions, should email housing@longwood.edu or call 434-395-2080.

Got Housing Questions??

RCL staff will be available at the following dates and times to answer questions regarding the Longwood Managed Apartment Registration process, Main Campus Housing Registration process, and Off-Campus Intent process.

October 27th & October 30th
11am - 1pm at Dorrill Dining Hall Lobby

November 3rd & 5th 
11am - 1pm at Dorrill Dining Hall Lobby

February 2nd through February 6th
11am - 1pm at Dorrill Dining Hall Lobby

March 10th through March 12th
11am - 1pm at Dorrill Dining Hall Lobby

Is Longwood managed housing guaranteed for all continuing students?

RCL will make every attempt to house as many students as possible. It is possible that RCL will not have enough bed spaces available to provide housing for all rising Junior and Seniors, but RCL anticipates that this will be a small number of students.

All Freshmen and rising Sophomores (55 or less Longwood credits at the conclusion of the spring 2015 semester) are guaranteed Longwood managed housing in either a Main Campus Residence Hall or Longwood managed apartment community.  This means that in the event that all main campus spaces are exhausted, there may be students that participated in the main campus registration process that will need to be assigned to an apartment space.  Students with less than 48 earned credits at the conclusion of the spring 2015 semester are required to live in Longwood managed housing and must participate in the housing registration process.

Can I live in the same main campus room next year?

Students will be unable to squat his/her room. If the student's current housing space is available at the time the student completes the registration process, the student may select the same housing space.

South Ruffner residents will be permitted to squat his/her room.  Information regarding this process will be emailed directly to South Ruffner residents in early January.

Important: RCL will designate floors for freshmen. These rooms will not be available to continuing students during the housing registration process because these rooms will be reserved for new freshmen.



 Can I choose my suitemates?

The main campus registration process is designed to allow students to self-assign themselves and roommate(s) to an available main campus room.  Therefore, studetns are not able to select his/her suitemates during the registration process.


What if I don't have a roommate?

Plan to attend one of the housing information sessions, which will also be a "Mix 'n' Mingle" event. During the mix and mingle, RCL will assist students with finding mutual roommates.

Without a mutual roommate, solo residents with 55 or less Longwood credits must wait until Thursday, March 19th to submit preferences for housing. This is done through the Student Housing Gateway. Random assignments, utilizing available vacancies, will be made prior to the start of the fall semester for students with 55 or less Longwood credits.

Without a mutual roommate, solo residents with 56 or greater Longwood credits must wait until Tuesday, March 24th to submit preferences through the student housing gateway and be placed on the housing waitlist.

If space becomes available, RCL will contact students with 56 or greater Longwood credits regarding his/her waitlist application. Submission of a waitlist application does not guarantee that RCL will have sufficient space to assign the student to Longwood managed housing.

Which apartments at Lancer Park have a bedroom without a window?

There are some apartments at Lancer Park that have a bedroom within the apartment that does not have a window.  Please review the list below that includes the list of apartments.  If you have additional questions, please contact the Residential and Commuter Life Office.

Lancer Park Bedrooms Without a Window


What if I have a disability or health need?

Visit Specialized Housing

What if I am going to be an RA next year?

If you have turned in your acceptance to the RA Search Committee, then you will be assigned a room by your supervisor. Your supervisor will contact each RA regarding instructions to register for housing in late March.

Where are the triple room options?

Triple rooms are located in Arc Hall, Curry Hall and Frazer Hall. To have full occupancy and register fo a triple room you must have 2 other people to pull-in as roommates. 



 What happens if I miss my day to sign-up?

If you miss your day to sign-up, i.e. you have 40-55 credits and you did not sign-up on Monday, March 16th for a main campus room you will be allowed to sign-up on the next available self-assignment date.

What if I am going to live on my Greek affiliated hall?

Each organizations housing chair will submit the housing roster to the Associate Director of Occupancy Management.  The Associate Director of Occupancy Mangement will ensure that each student is assigned to the correct spaces and will provide each student with a confirmation email regarding the assignment. 


What if I am going to live on the Honor's hall?

Each organizations housing chair (or person in charge of housing assignments) will submit the housing roster to the Associate Director of Occupancy Management. The Associate Director of Occupancy Mangement will ensure that each student is assigned to the correct spaces and will provide each student with a confrmation email regarding the assignment.


What if I am not registered for 12 credits?

All residential students are required to maintain a course load of 12 credit hours. This policy is designed to maintain the commitment to an educational residence hall environment. Requests for exceptions should be forwarded to the Dean of Students.

What if I am not Returning to Longwood in the Fall?

If you will not be returning to the university and will not be attending/registering for any Longwood courses, you must complete the withdrawal process. To withdraw from the university, you must contact the Registrar's office and complete a withdrawal form and complete the withdrawal process.

The Office of the Registrar
Ground Floor, Barlow Hall
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909-1899
Phone: 434-395-2580

Any student leaving Longwood managed housing for the reasons listed below must email housing@longwood.edu to inform the RCL office.

• Graduating
• Studying Abroad
• Interning outside of the 8 surrounding counties
• Student Teaching outside of the 8 surrounding counties

 What if I want to live with an International Exchange student?

If you are interested in living with an international exchange student please print off an application and return it to the RCL central office prior to 5pm on March 11th.

Application for an international roommate 

What if I want to live with an incoming transfer student?

The room assignment process is designed for ONLY current/continuing residents. Assignments for new residential students (new freshmen, transfers and re-admitted) will be processed during the summer months, using a different allocation procedure. Therefore, continuing residential students are not permitted to assign themselves with new residential students.

What if I am academically or judicially suspended prior to the start Fall term?

An academic or judicial suspension will terminate the room and board assignment and the random bed space will be assigned to another eligible resident (from an anticipated waiting list).

When will the housing room and meal plan rates be approved?

The Board of Visitors is expected to approve housing and meal plan rates at the December board meeting. Once approved, housing and meal plan rates will be published on the RCL website.

What if I want to change my room assignment?

A room assignment "freeze" is in effect until approximately 2 weeks after the start of the fall term for any non-administrative room changes. (incoming residents and if applicable, students living in temporary or transitional assignments will be given priority.) Unauthorized room changes are not permitted. Students found to have made an illegal room change will be assessed a $75.00 fee and will face judicial action.

What if I want to change my meal plan?

Students have until 5pm on the add/drop date of each semester to change their meal plans.
Residential students may change their plans through the Student Housing Gateway. 

What if my question is not listed above?
Click here to send an email to housing@longwood.edu.


Arc / LWV FAQ's

Arc FAQ's

Longwood Village FAQ's

Lancer Park 2 Bedroom and Townhouse Units

Click on the link below to view the list of 2 BR and Townhouse Units

Lancer Park Listing