Mission and Vision
The Psychology Department at Longwood University provides the highest quality instruction to undergraduate students with the goal of preparing them for a professional career or graduate study.
The Psychology Department strives to foster student learning, scholarship, and achievement by promoting a comprehensive education in theoretical principles and research methodology applied to the scientific study of behavior and mental processes.
The Psychology Department will continually strive to foster student learning, scholarship and achievement by promoting the development of the following skills in our undergraduate students:
- the ability to collect, manage, analyze, and interpret data;
- the ability to write professional quality reports and give oral presentations;
- the ability to use computer and information technologies; the ability to think critically and creatively;
- the ability to think and behave ethically in the context of research and practice;
- the ability to interpret contemporary events using psychological principles;
- and the ability to work effectively and responsibly with others.
To impart these skills, the department faculty will continually reexamine and refine the curriculum and make adjustments, when appropriate, based upon assessment and market data.
In addition, faculty will stay current in and incorporate emerging instructional technology and pedagogic techniques.