Licensure Assessments in VA
Even though your scores are electronically submitted, Virginia requests that applicants for licenses submit a copy of all official score reports because scores may not be loaded due to discrepancies in identifying information. Therefore, please provide a copy to OPS.
Longwood Assessments for Teacher Prep and Licensure
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
Reading Subtest Code: 091
· Designed to measure comprehension and analysis of
readings, outlining and summarizing skills, and ability
to interpret tables and graphs
· Consists of approximately 40 multiple-choice items
Writing Subtest Code: 092
· Designed to measure the development of ideas in essay form on specific topics and the mastery of grammar, mechanics and vocabulary
· Consists of approximately 40 multiple-choice items, 3 short-answer items, a written summary assignment and a written composition assignment
Passing Composite Score: 470
Praxis II Specialty Content Area Test (if applicable)
Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary & Special Education Teachers (RVE)* http://www.ets.org/praxis/va/requirements
Test Code: 5306
- Designed to measure the knowledge, skills and abilities that are important, necessary and needed to teach reading
- Consists of 100 multiple-choice questions and 3 constructed-response questions
Passing Score: 157
This assessment replaces the Virginia Reading Assessment (VRA) as of July 1, 2011. However, Virginia’s Department of Education will still accept passing scores on the VRA in lieu of the RVE for initial licensure. 235 is the minimum passing score for the VRA.
ATTENTION: Students Preparing for Assessments for Initial Licensure
When pursuing accommodations for assessments, the process can take up to 6 weeks.
If you are registered with the Office of Disability Resources and plan on seeking accommodations for your required testing for the Teacher Preparation program, you must meet with the Assistant Director of Disability Resources at least 2 months prior to when you want to take your tests.
The Assistant Director of Disability Resources can be reached directly at (434) 395-2392. The office is located in Graham Hall Room 119.