Students who wish to graduate in a timely manner must complete an application and meet all requirements at the properly established time. Failure to meet any requirement by the deadline will delay your admission to complete the Professional Semester and may delay graduation.
Apply for the Graduate Professional Semester one year in advance (February 1 for a spring placement or September 1 for a fall placement) by:
1. Completing the online application [application process (pdf)].
2. Requesting positive faculty recommendation(s) as specified by the program area (pdf). Faculty complete the recommendation online, using the faculty tab of "MyLongwood." Faculty Recommendation for Student Teaching Process (pdf).
3. Maintaining a GPA of 3.0. The OPS will verify upon receipt of application.
Meet additional placement requirements one semester in advance (February 1 for a fall placement or September 1 for a spring placement) by:
4. Submitting to OPS at own expense copies of the following documents in the Office of Professional Services Blackbooard Course:
a. Criminal background check (instructions on the OPS website)
b. Negative tuberculosis test results
c. Automobile insurance form (download this from the OPS website)
NOTE: All three documents must be current within one year of actual placement in the professional semester. In addition to these Longwood requirements, school divisions may have other forms to complete and procedures to follow. Please consult with OPS to obtain this information. It is the teacher candidate’s responsibility to access the information and comply by the deadline.
Meet remaining program area requirements by the deadline established by the program area, which in most instances is prior to starting the professional semester. This includes:
5. Submitting to OPS a copy of the score reports for Praxis II (if applicable), the Reading for Virginia Educators "RVE" (if applicable), and the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment "VCLA." Consult your program area about these assessments and the recommended timing for completion.
6. Completing all course work. Consult your graduate catalog for specific program requirements.
· Attend the Student Teaching Seminar Day which is scheduled prior to the professional semester and Wrap-Up Day which is scheduled at the end of the professional semester. The specific dates for both will be announced and posted on the OPS website. If you have a provisional license, you are not required to attend Wrap-Up Day.
· The OPS will obtain professional semester placements for the initial licensure candidates who are not employed as full time teachers. If employed with a provisional license, please call the OPS for additional information.
· If you have a provisional license, you will work with the school division personnel in completing and submitting their licensure packet. OPS will work with all other teacher candidates to apply for initial licensure with the Virginia Department of Education.