Grow by Degrees
Message from the President
On June 22, 2009, the Virginia Business Higher Education Council launched a new coalition campaign—Grow By Degrees—in support of the public colleges and universities in Virginia.
This collaborative effort brings together business, community, education and economic development leaders and organizations from throughout Virginia. As the Commonwealth deals with the current economic situation, the importance of higher education becomes more critical than ever before.
Grow By Degrees supports a comprehensive funding and strategic plan for higher education based on the following priorities:
- A 10-year program of investment designed to award 70,000 additional degrees by 2020
- Concentration on high-income, high demand sectors such as science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
- Create cost-efficient new ways to access college degrees
- Expand job-specific training at Virginia's broadly popular and affordable community colleges
- Invest in and promote privately funded university research activity that creates a measurable number of new jobs
- Establish a regional system that promotes economic development and workforce training with colleges and universities as partners
- Make college more affordable for low and middle-income students and families
The launch of the Grow By Degrees campaign is the first of its kind and is intended to initiate a dialogue of creative, innovative and cost effective ways of achieving the coalition's primary goals and objectives. Members of the coalition will work with Virginia lawmakers and key decision makers to turn the seven priorities into substantive policy proposals that can help get Virginia back on the path to economic recovery.
If you would like to learn more about this important initiative, please visit the Grow By Degrees website at http://www.growbydegrees.org where you will find an interactive platform for Virginia residents to participate in the dialogue and help shape the future of higher education in the Commonwealth.
Dr. Patricia P. Cormier