Text Size Print
Space Configuration Management
The purpose of this policy is to establish the parameters for the management of the configuration of University spaces.
- Space: Specific defined portions of University owned or leased facilities.
- Space Configuration: The existing physical form, structure, finishing, as well as, installation of built-in furniture and fixtures of a space.
- Space Configuration Management: An organized, planned approach to managing the configuration of spaces.
- Modification of Space Configuration: Any change to the space configuration including, but not limited to change in paint schemes, installation of built-in furniture and fixtures, changes to wiring or mechanical systems which deviate from existing design, affixing any item to any surface in a University Facility, as well as changes to walls, doors, windows or any other structural element.
Operational Space Manager: Individual delegated operational control of a space.
The campus and University owned and leased facilities are the property of the Commonwealth of Virginia. These resources are provided to Longwood University in order to support its mission and functions. The configuration of Longwood University spaces shall be managed from a University perspective.
- All modifications to space configurations must be approved by the University Space Planning and Management Committee. Modifications to mechanical systems and electrical wiring may be approved by the Facilities Management Department without prior approval of the University Space Planning and Management Committee. Modifications to technology systems and communications wiring may be approved by Information and Instructional Technology Services without prior approval of the University Space Planning and Management Committee.
- Modifications to space configurations shall be made in accordance with University design guidelines and in such manner as to best support the functional use of space.
- Requests for the modification of a space configuration shall be made by the OSM in accordance with University Space Configuration Request Procedures.
- Nothing shall be permanently or temporarily affixed to the interior or exterior surfaces of any University facility except as follows:
- Occupants of an assigned office space may affix such items as pictures, clocks and posters to the interior walls of their office as long as the method does not significantly damage the walls.
- The occupants of an assigned office space may affix temporary signs to the exterior surface of office doors. Individuals who have been assigned a scheduled space may affix temporary signs to the exterior surface of the door of a scheduled space. Temporary signs may be affixed only in a manner that does not harm the finished surface of the door.
- Items may be affixed to any surface designed for that purpose, such as bulletin boards.
- Personnel may affix items to any surface as required by the institution with prior approval of the Director of Facilities Management.
- Individuals wishing to affix items to either interior or exterior surfaces not covered in sections 1 thru 5, may initiate specific requests to the Space Planning and Management Committee for either a temporary or permanent waiver of this policy.
- All costs for returning the configuration of spaces to their original form for any change made not in accordance to this policy shall be borne by the organizational unit of the OSM.
Approved by the Board of Visitors, September 13, 2003.