Text Size Print
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance on the maintenance of the university's elevator equipment. Elevators are one of the safest means of automated transportation and are essential in creating an accessible campus environment. They are comprised of mechanical and electrical components which require routine maintenance and adjustments. Through proper operation and routinely scheduled maintenance, the equipment will function for long periods of time without disruption of service. If the equipment is improperly operated, or does not receive the required maintenance, its useful life will be foreshortened and it will most likely be out of service for long periods of time.
- Longwood University elevators shall be maintained according to the manufacturer's recommendations and industry established standards. The Facilities Management (FM) Department shall contract with a qualified elevator service contractor to maintain the equipment in a safe and properly functioning condition.
- In residence halls with elevators, it is essential that one elevator be operational at all times.
- Users of Longwood elevators shall assist in keeping the elevators in good working order. Abuse of control panels, vandalism, writing or painting on elevator surfaces, and attaching any paper or object to elevator surfaces is prohibited. Combustion of any fuel or material (e.g., cigarettes, paper, cigarette lighter fluid) in any elevator is strictly prohibited. These policy violations are grounds for disciplinary action.
Authorized Longwood employees may attach materials to elevator surfaces in order to protect the elevator.
Service and repairs to non-essential elevators will occur during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of trapped occupants. Failure of essential elevators will be responded to twenty-four (24) hours a day.
- If an elevator fails to function, or it is suspected that there is a defect in the operation of the elevator it should be reported immediately. During normal business hours the problem should be reported by calling the Facilities Management (FM) Department Work Order Center at 434.395.2373. At all other times, the problem should be reported to the Office of Public Safety at 434.395.2091.
- If an elevator fails to function and occupants are trapped, immediately call the FM Department Work Order Center at 434.395.2373 or the Office of Public Safety after hours at 434.395.2091. All after hours calls should be made to the Office of Public Safety at 434.395.2091.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 7, 2002.
Revised and reviewed by Cabinet, August 8, 2012.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 14, 2012.