The purpose of this policy is to establish the basic pay processes and pay schedules for the University.
- Standards: Longwood employees will be paid in accordance with State policies and authorization, and Longwood procedures. A pay history file will be maintained for each employee and retained in accordance with established regulations. All payroll statistical and tax reports required by the State and Federal governments will be prepared and filed in a timely manner. All employees will be paid by check or direct deposit issued by the Comptroller for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Direct deposit participation is required of all full-time and wage employees.
- Hourly Employees: Hourly time cards are due in the Payroll Office on the first (1st) and sixteenth (16th) of each month. Time cards must be signed by the employee and their immediate supervisor. Hourly employees are paid on the first (1st) and sixteenth (16th) of the month. Each year, a schedule of pay periods and paydays are prepared and distributed to all hourly employees.
- Work Study Employees: Student Work Study time cards are to be turned in to the Payroll Office once a month. Students are paid approximately two (2) weeks after turning in time cards, usually on the twentieth (20th) of the month except in the summer. Time cards must be signed by the students and the
authorized supervisor. Each year the Payroll Office requires a sheet from each department specifying who is authorized to sign time cards.
- Contractual Employees: Contractual employees will be paid semi-monthly on the first (1st) and the sixteenth (16th) of each month. If these dates should fall on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, the payday will be the last work day immediately preceding.
- Pay Advances: The University will not issue a check for advance pay. In the event of an administrative error on the part of the University, the Vice President for Administration and Finance may approve a pay advance as an exception to the pay policy. The pay advance will be reimbursed in the next pay cycle from the employee's regular pay.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 7, 2002.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, December 03, 2010.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, June 15, 2012.