Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Facts & Information

Rape Drugs & How to Avoid Them

Rape Drugs

Rape Drugs are substances used by sexual predators to incapacitate a victim so he/she cannot resist an assault. When these drugs are used, victims in many cases may not be able to recall what happened to them. Most rape drugs are colorless, odorless and tasteless (or have a taste that can be masked) so they can be slipped into a victims drink without the victim noticing. If you or someone else seems extremely drunk after having only a small amount of alcohol, a rape drug may be involved. Immediately get help. Two of the more prevalent rape drugs in use today are:

  • Rohypnol (Roofies, Rope, Ruffies, R2, Ruffles, Roche, Forget-pill, Mexican Valium)
  • Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB, Liquid Ecstasy, Liquid X, Scoop, Easy Lay)


How to Reduce Your Risk

  • Don't go out by yourself and keep an eye on your friends when you do go out.
  • If you are in a conversation where your attention may be averted, put your hand over your drink.
  • Never leave beverages unattended. These drugs dissolve in non-alcoholic as well as alcoholic drinks.
  • Don't accept drinks you didn't see made.
  • Don't share or exchange drinks.
  • At a bar or nightclub, only accept drinks from the bartender or server.
  • Beware if someone wants you to go outside to get some fresh air, especially if it is someone you have just met.

Criminal Penalties

In response to the illicit use of drugs, the United States Congress in 1996 passed the "Drug Induced Rape Prevention and Punishment Act". This act allows for up to 20 years of imprisonment for anyone caught distributing illicit drugs to others without their knowledge in order to commit a sexual assault. Persons possessing Rohypnol or other rape drugs may be sentenced up to 3 years in prison.

After an Assault

It is not unusual for a sexual assault victim to feel afraid to talk to someone after an attack, but it is very important to do so. If the attack occurs at the University, call the University Police Department. If the attack occurs elsewhere, contact the local police department. Notifying the police will assure that you receive necessary medical attention and contact with appropriate community services. Reporting will also help the police gain information that may lead to the arrest of your attacker or aid in the investigation of other reported assaults. Don't worry about unrelated events, such as your being under age and having consumed alcohol and or drugs. Right now, the focus of the police investigation is on you as a victim of a sexual attack. Bathing, douching and changing clothes might be the first things you want to do, but don't, even as much as you want to. You might literally be washing away valuable evidence. Wait until after the medical examination.

Victim Options

Reporting the incident to the Police does not mean you are obligated to take your attacker to court, (i.e. prosecute). In addition to possible criminal prosecution, a victim may also, or instead of, choose to pursue their complaint through the Honor and Judicial Programs office at the University or decide to take no action at all. If you do not want to contact the Police, it is very important that you contact the Honor and Judicial Programs office, the Student Affairs staff, or the Student Health and Wellness Center. In any case, be sure to seek qualified medical attention. A student victim of sexual assault can file a formal complaint within the University through the Honor and Judicial Programs office. This office provides that both parties may present witnesses on their behalf and be informed of the outcome of any proceeding. Possible sanctions include exclusion, suspension, disciplinary probation, and conciliatory and educational sanctions, including counseling.

  • For additional information on the Student Conduct and Integrity, contact Student Affairs at 434-395-2487.
  • The Title IX webpage at www.longwood.edu/police/57601.htm
  • Virginia Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-838-8238
  • Piedmont Crisis Center: 1-888-819-2926

The Drink Wheel - Have you had too much to drink?

It's not just another TEST; it's a self-test that tells you what it would take to put you over the legal limit. YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED. Take the Drink Wheel test.

The Drink Wheel (self-test)



The use, sale, production or distribution of any illegal drug and or possession of drug paraphernalia on University property is strictly prohibited. Those who violate the law risk criminal prosecution, a criminal record and potentially, exclusion from the University.


Binge Drinking

The term "binge drinking" has become a popular phrase used in recent years to describe the consumption of 5 or more alcoholic drinks (or 4 or more drinks for females) during the last 2 weeks within a sitting. A standard drink is typically defined as one 12-ounce bottle of beer, one 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits. Research suggests that students who consume 5 or more drinks in a short period of time are 2 - 5 times more likely to report a negative experience such as an academic problem, injury, violence, etc. They also are twice more likely to die from injuries than students who consume less.

For additional information please see data published by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.