BSN: Financial Resources
There are financial resources designed specifically for nursing students. In addition to the following description of sources of financial assistance, students are notified of new information via email as it arrives. Materials and applications, when available, may be obtained from the nursing department office or found on designated bulletin boards.
- The Purgarelli Nursing Student Scholarship: The Purgarelli Nursing Student Scholarship is to be awarded to a rising junior or senior nursing student from the Southside and Central Virginia region (preferred) with financial need. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2013 by 5:00 pm. Click here for application.
- Institutional Scholarship and Loan Programs: Hospitals and other institutions often offer monetary assistance to students in return for a work commitment following graduation. These are excellent offers if you know where you would like to work. Contact institutions you are interested in directly and ask about programs for nursing students. Most of these programs fund only the junior and senior years.
- Federal Loan Programs: Excellent federal loans specifically for nursing students are available at a low rate of interest. No interest is payable while in school and for nine (9) months post-graduation. Repayment can be deferred or canceled depending upon employment following graduation. Eligibility depends on your financial need status. The financial aid office has applications.
- CampusRN Scholarship Program: CampusRN has launched a new scholarship program in conjunction with the creation of the CampusRN state edition network. This nationwide scholarship program is the most comprehensive of its kind for nursing programs and nursing students because it features scholarship winners from six different regions across the country in which CampusRN has launched state edition sites. CampusRN will award six $2500 scholarships to a needy and deserving nursing student in each region.The deadline for applications is April 1st, students can apply for the scholarship program at: http://www.campusrn.com/register/scholarship.asp
JustHomeMedical.com Health Care Leaders Scholarship: Just Home Medical will be awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a student going into the health care industry. To apply, make a video under 3 minutes explaining your long and short term goals as a future health care leader. Answers will be judged on thoughtfulness and creativity. http://justhomemedical.com/health-care-leaders-scholarship
Federal Scholarship Programs
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Professional Scholarship: The Health Professional Scholarship Program Offers awards to nursing students enrolled full-time or accepted for enrollment in an NLN-accredited nursing program. Recipients must agree to be employed as full-time licensed professionals in a VA medical center for a two-year service obligation. Benefits include funds for tuition and fees, other educational expenses, and a monthly stipend.
- The Indian Health Service: Indian health programs need dedicated health and allied health professionals to fill staffing needs - people like you who envision a career with a purpose and mission, and who are willing to commit to working in Indian communities where they can truly make a difference.
The mission of IHS is to raise the physical, mental, social and spiritual health of American Indians and Alaska Natives to the highest level. Because of the IHS Scholarship Program, many qualified health professionals are given the opportunity to pursue their careers as well as help their own communities.
- National Student Nurses Association: The Foundation of the National Student Nurses Association (FNSNA) was created in 1969 to honor Frances Tompkins, the Association's first Executive Director. Organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, the Foundation awards scholarships to qualified nursing students. Contributions to the FNSNA are tax-deductible. Since 1974, the FNSNA has awarded over $2 million dollars in scholarships to undergraduate nursing students. The Foundation is organized as a 501 (C) (3) charitable foundation.
- Virginia League for Nursing: The Virginia Nurses Foundation Scholarship is awarded to selected nursing students attending a RN to BSN program. The scholarship is awarded to those students who exhibit high academic achievement, a commitment to nursing, and strong clinical and leadership abilities. Two scholarships are normally awarded.
- Johnson & Johnson: is an excellent resource to use to look for nursing scholarships and loans.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: Provides information regarding resources for undergraduate nursing students for scholarships and financial aid resources for nursing students
- Virginia Department of Health - Mary Marshall Nursing Scholarship Program: Presently, the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Minority Health and Health Equity offers several scholarship opportunities to help pay for nursing education. If you apply to any of our scholarship opportunities, please bookmark this page to check the Program Status.