First Year Reading Experience
The First Year Reading Experience is an opportunity for all new students to bond even before they arrive on campus.
Each year, the incoming class is asked to read a selected text prior to their arrival in August. The author of this text then speaks to new students during New Lancer Days and the content is integrated into the Longwood Seminar course discussion. Copies of the text are available for purchase in the Longwood University Bookstore during Orientation & Registration.
We are proud to announce The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot as the 2013-2014 First Year Reading Experience selection.
First Year Reading Experience Committee
- Ms. Sarah E. Whitley, Chair, Director of First Year Experience & Family Programs
- Dr. Bill Abrams, Mathematics and Computer Science
- Ms. Jennifer Cox, Residential & Commuter Life
- Ms. Ashley Jones, Peer Mentor - Class 2013
- Ms. Nicole Ligon, Peer Mentor - Class 2013
- Mr. Wade Lough, Art - Graphic Design
- Dr. Chris McGee, English and Modern Languages and Director of Longwood Seminar
- Ms. Tatiana Pashkova-Balkenhol, Greenwood Library
- Ms. Alicia Peterson, Health, Recreation & Kinesiology
- Dr. Maureen Walls-McKay, Counseling Center
- Ms. Stacey U. Wilkerson, First Year Experience & Family Programs