Movers & Shakers
Making Move-In A Smooth Process
A special program, called Movers & Shakers, brings nearly 100 student organization volunteers to campus in order to assist students on move-day (This service only functions on new student move-in days). The program provides assistance in carrying student’s belongings up to their rooms. We will begin a sign up at the beginning of April 2013 outside Lankford Student Union Room 218 on the bulletin board or CLICK HERE.
Movers and Shakers Volunteers will be assigned one of three roles:
- Mover and Shaker: the traditional role in which volunteers assist new students with moving into their residence hall. M&S is typically divided up into morning and afternoon shifts with volunteers only assigned to one shift and earn 4 community service hours.
- Parking/Traffic Control: in this role, volunteers will work with campus police to manage and direct move-in traffic. Parking will also be divided up into morning and afternoon shifts with volunteers only assigned to one shift and earn 4 community service hours.
- B&N Book Delivery: this is a new partnership in which students will work with B&N to deliver books throughout the day to first-year students who signed up for the service. This role will cover BOTH morning AND afternoon shift and volunteers will earn 8 community service hours.
Students will have the opportunity to rank which role they prefer, however, we cannot guarantee you will be assigned your first or second choice.
Movers and Shakers 2013
We will begin a sign up at the beginning of April outside Lankford Student Union Room 218 on the Bulletin Board or CLICK HERE. Registration will only be open until April 30th. Once registration closes, you will receice an email by June 28th with the application and contract. Only the first 150 students who accurately complete and mail in their paperwork by the deadline will be allowed to participate in the program.
Tentative Movers and Shakers 2013 Schedule:
Wednesday, August 21
- 2-5pm: Volunteers move-in to their residence hall
- 5:00pm-6:00pm: Dinner On your own
- 6:00pm Check-In for Movers and Shakers Training in Student Union Ballroom
- 6:30pm-8pm: REQUIRED Movers and Shakers Training, Student Union Ballroom
Thursday, August 22
- 8:00am: Continental Breakfast for morning shift volunteers- Lankford Student Union Ballroom
- 8:45am-12:30pm: Morning shift (volunteers will be dismissed based on need at assigned building)
- 12:30pm: Lunch for afternoon shift volunteers - Lankford Student Union Ballroom
- 1:30pm-5pm: Afternoon shift (volunteers will be dismissed based on need at assigned building)
Questions? Contact Kat Raborn at 434-395-2685