Why does Longwood require risk sessions for study abroad students?
Risk sessions are an important part of preparing to study abroad. In these sessions, you will learn how to stay safe while studying abroad. We will cover topics such as safety tips while traveling, appropriate behavior and dress, safe handling of money, insurance coverage, and how to get help in case of an emergency. Students must attend the risk session the semester before departure. Students must attend a risk session each year that they choose to study abroad. For example, a student choosing to study abroad as a sophomore must repeat the risk session if participating in a second program during the junior year.
Risk session requirements:
- Risk sessions are required for ALL Longwood students planning to study abroad.
- You must attend the ENTIRE risk session. If you arrive late or leave early, your attendance will not count.
- You will be required to sign a risk management form stating that you have received and understood all information provided. Bring your Longwood ID because you will be required to provide your L#.
- If ANY of the above criteria are not met, you must pay a $50 feeto attend a make-up presentation.
- This fee will be waived only in the case of a documented emergency situation at the discretion of the Coordinator of Study Abroad.
- A payment form must be obtained from the Study Abroad office and fee paid in the Cashiering Office. A receipt for payment must be presented to International Affairs staff at the make-up session.
- Students who miss the risk session will be give only one chance to make it up. If a student fails to attend the make-up session then he or she will be prohibited from studying abroad.
- NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THIS POLICY.
Students participating in faculty-led programs during Summer 2014 MUST attend one of the following risk sessions:
- Thursday, February 20, 3:45-4:45 PM in Hiner 213
- Thursday, March 13, 3:45-4:45 PM in Hiner 213
- Friday, March 28, 4:00-5:00 PM in Hiner 207
- Monday, April 7, 6:00-7:00 PM in Hiner 101
Third-Party and Exchange Programs
Students participating in third-party or exchange programs during Summer or Fall 2014 MUST attend one of the following sessions:
- Tuesday, April 8, 4:00-5:00 PM in Hiner 213
- Thursday, April 10, 6:00-7:00 PM in Hiner 210