Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Life at Longwood

Information about Farmville and Longwood

Question: What is the weather like in Farmville?
The weather in Farmville is considered to be mild with four distinct seasons. Farmville and most of the surrounding state of Virginia has a humid subtropical climate with warm summers and mild winters. You can research climate data for Farmville here.

Question: What are my dining options at Longwood?
All students living on campus are required to select a meal plan to be used at the Dining Hall. Also, there are many cafes and restaurants in the town of Farmville.

Question: What are the Residence Halls like?
All Longwood Residence Halls are located on campus and very close to the academic halls where you will be taking classes. Most residence halls are double rooms where you will have an American student roommate.

Question: What public transportation is available in Farmville?
There is a public bus service, the Farmville Area Bus (FAB) that offers free transportation to students within the town and surrounding area.



Question: What can I do to get involved?
With over 125 clubs and organizations, athletic events, recreational opportunities, etc. it is easy to find something to interest you. There is also the International Club, which is a good way to meet other international students and friendly American students.

For more information about specific involvement areas at Longwood, click on the appropriate links below:

Student Life  (Main page, including, but not limited to:  Offices & Services; Activities & Involvement; Academic Resources; and Online Services.)

Student Union & Involvement

Clubs & Organizations

Athletics & Recreational Sports

Question: How can I find a job on campus?
 A good way to being looking for jobs is to sign up on CareerConnect or contact Nadine Garrett, the Student Employment Manager. International Students are not eligible for "Federal Work Study" positions. These are jobs that are reserved for American students who qualify to receive assistant from the government for funding their undergraduate education. To be eligible to work on campus, international students must be in good academic standing, work no more than 20 hours per week, and cannot begin working until 30 days after the start date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019. You must also receive an employment authorization from a Designated School Official (DSO).


Personal Issues

Question: Do I need to bring some bedding?
Answer: Residence Halls at Longwood do not come with bedding supplies. The beds in all the Longwood on-campus residence halls are made for extra-long (XL) twin sheets. If you will living in an on-campus residence hall you must provide these for yourself. You may buy them while shopping in the town on the night you arrive, or you may purchase bedding online and have it shipped to the address provided below. It will be placed in your room before you arrive. Some affordable websites that sell bedding online are: http://www.dormco.com and http://www.rhl.org.

Address for bedding to be sent:
Office of International Affairs
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909 USA

Question: How can I seek help if I feel homesick?
Answer: It is completely normal for international students to feel homesick. One of the best things you can do to combat your feelings of homesickness is to make new friends and get involved in activities on campus. Click on the link below to find out about our over 125 clubs, organizations and recreational opportunities. Longwood also provides free counseling services to students.

Question: What do I do if I am having conflicts with my roommate?
Answer: You should first talk to your roommate and see if you can come to an agreement with them that will minimize conflict. If you are still having conflicts with the roommate, you may make an appointment to meet with your Residence Education Coordinator (REC).


Academic Matters

Question: How do I find out who my advisor is?
Answer: Degree seeking students will be assigned an academic advisor during their first semester at Longwood.

Question: How do I contact my professors if I am having trouble in a class?
Answer: If you want to meet with the professor in person, it is best to visit their office during their office hours. Longwood professors are available to meet with students during office hours, which are usually listed in the course syllabus. You may also email or call your professor if you cannot meet with them in person. However, email is typically a better method than telephone.

Question: I have applied and been accepted into a graduate school, how do I transfer my student visa?
Answer: If you are accepted a graduate school, you must provide your DSO at the transfer-out school; Proof of your acceptance, the contact information of the DSO at the transfer-in school, and the SEVIS school code for the school you plan to transfer to. Once you have done this, your visa record can be transferred to your new school.


Leaving Longwood

Question: What do I need to do before I travel out of the USA?
Make sure you have all your immigration documents! Also, make sure that the travel validation signature on your DS-2019 or I-20 is up to date.