Fall 2 Session Welcome Letter
Congratulations on your acceptance to the English as a Second Language Program at Longwood University for the 2014 year! We look forward to seeing you in Virginia soon. Between now and the time you come, there are some items that you need to know. Please read this letter carefully (and review the checklist) so that your transition to the United States can go as smoothly as possible.
Housing: You can find accommodations in one of the following places, click to view:
Please provide proof of housing arrangements by September 29th. (Note that if you do not make housing arrangements before you arrive, you will need to stay in a hotel at your own expense until you find an apartment.)
- Arrival Date: If you want to take advantage of our FREE transportation from the Richmond International Airport (RIC) to Longwood University (about 1 hour away), you need to arrive at or before 9PM on Monday, October 6th. Please notify us in advance of your flight number arriving in Richmond, Virginia, and your arrival time. Also, notify the Office of International Affairs immediately if there are changes to your flight information, and make sure to take this telephone number (Mr. Paul Phillips, 434-395-2887) with you as you travel, so that you can notify us if there will be a change in your arrival time. If your flight is late, we will wait for you. If you decide to take a taxi or bus, it will be very expensive.
- Appointment for your accommodation: After picking you up at the airport, we will take you directly to the accommodation you have rented beforehand or to a local hotel if you have not arranged for your accommodation. Please let us know by September 29 what you have arranged ahead of time so that we can make an appointment with your accommodation's manager for the time you arrive if you use our transportation from the airport to Farmville on Monday night.
- Shopping/Orientation trip: On Tuesday, October 7, at 11AM, we will pick you up at your accommodation in Farmville for a brief orientation to the town of Farmville and for "set up" shopping. This will last until 4PM.
- Placement Test: In order to determine your level of English, you will need to take the placement test. This test is only offered ONE TIME per session. The placement test for the October, Fall 2 Session is October 13. Meet us at 8:45AM on campus at the Wheeler building (unless notified otherwise) and bring your passport for identification. The placement test will go from 9AM to 12PM and you will have a Speaking Assessment after lunch by appointment. The first day of classes is October 15th.
- Orientation: The ESLP will have an orientation for all new students during which you will receive your class schedule on October 9, at 9AM. Please bring your passport with you to this orientation. Orientation will last until 12PM, and we will provide a tour of campus in the afternoon from 1 to 2.
- Immunization Record: All Longwood University students are required to present an up to date immunization record completed by a doctor or health care provider before arrival. The certificate of immunization form is enclosed and the completed form can be emailed or mailed to the Office of International Affairs. You will not be able to register for classes until you have a valid immunization record on file.
- Health Insurance: All F-1 visa holders are required to have a valid health insurance policy. Health care is expensive in the United States, and insurance will help to cover medical expenses in case you become sick or are injured. You must have valid health insurance at all times while attending Longwood University. It is recommended that you purchase a health insurance policy before you arrive. For more information about health insurance and how to purchase a policy, please visit this website: International Affairs.