Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Internship and Work Opportunities

On-Campus Work and Internship Opportunities

J-1 visa degree seeking students are eligible for on-campus employment authorization by the ARO (Alternate Responsible Officer) during the program of study listed on the DS-2019.  On-campus employment is defined as work that is performed on the Longwood campus. 

 Eligibility for On-Campus Employment:

  • You must be in good academic standing
  • You are engaged in a full course of study
  • Total employment is no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks
  • The ARO has approved your employment opportunity by reviewing a written job offer

For more information about on-campus job opportunities, please visit the Campus Jobs website, or contact the Student Employment Manager, Cindy Coleman.  Please note that international students are not eligible for positions marked as "Federal Work Study." These positions are reserved for students who are receiving Federal Pell grants.

Off-Campus Work and Internship Opportunities

J-1 visa students are eligible for off-campus employment only in serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since the beginning of the program.  If you feel you qualify to work off-campus based on your current economic situation, contact your ARO.


Obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN)

You must have a Social Security Number (SSN) before you can begin working.  To be able to obtain this number you must first receive on-campus employment authorization from your ARO.  You will take this letter along with your passport, I-94, DS-2019 to the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office. For more information regarding applying for a Social Security Number, please visit the SSA website.  There is an SSA Office located at 324 Commerce Road in Farmville.