Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Internship and Work Opportunities

On-Campus Work and Internship Opportunities

 F-1 visa degree seeking students are eligible for on-campus employment authorization by the DSO during the program of study listed on the I-20.  On-campus employment is defined as work that is performed on the Longwood campus. 

 Eligibility for On-Campus Employment:

  • You must be in good academic standing
  • You are engaged in a full course of study
  • Total employment is no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks
  • The DSO has approved your employment opportunity by reviewing a written job offer
  • You cannot begin employment until 30 days after the program start date listed on your I-20

For more information about on-campus job opportunities, please visit the Campus Jobs website, or contact the Student Employment Manager, Cindy Coleman.  Please note that international students are not eligible for positions marked as "Federal Work Study." These positions are reserved for students who are receiving Federal Pell grants.


Off-Campus Work and Internship Opportunities

 There are several opportunities that F-1 visa international students have to pursue off-campus work and internship opportunities. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 

An F- 1 international student may be authorized by the DSO to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined as any type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with Longwood University. Since General Education Goal 15 requires student to complete an internship in their field of study, all Longwood international students are eligible to participate in CPT.

For more information about CPT, please view the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) handout.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period after graduation when undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status are permitted to work for at most one year on a student visa to acquire a practical training to complement their field of studies.

For more information about CPT, please view the Optional Practical Training (OPT) handout.

Economic Hardship

F-1 visa students are eligible for off-campus employment outside of OPT and CPT only in serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since the beginning of the program.  If you feel you qualify to work off-campus based on your current economic situation, contact your DSO.

For help finding off-campus work and internship opportunities, you may use the resources offered by the University Career Center

The Office of International Affairs offers CPT/OPT informational workshops every semester.  For the next workshop time and location, please visit the news and events webpage.  You may also contact your DSO directly with any questions you have regarding employment.


Obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN)

You must have a Social Security Number (SSN) before you can begin working.  To be able to obtain this number you must first receive on-campus employment authorization from your DSO.  You will take this letter along with your passport, I-94, I-20 to the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office. For more information regarding applying for a Social Security Number, please visit the SSA website.  There is an SSA Office located at 324 Commerce Road in Farmville.