Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Scholarships up to $5,000 for undergraduates.
- Amount depends on length of study and student need (average is about $4000).
- Must be Federal Pell Grant recipient and be accepted to a study abroad program that will last at least 4 weeks.
- Not eligible for studying abroad in Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State's travel warning list.
- If a recipient plans to study a critical need language while abroad, the student is automatically be considered for Critical Need Language Award of up to $8,000.
- Critical need languages include Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Russian, and many more.
- Traveling for academic year, summer, and fall programs--deadline in early March; notification in May.
- Traveling in spring—deadline in October; notification in December.
- Award recipients are chosen by a competitive selection process.
- For more information, visit the Gilman Scholarship website.
- Scholarships up to $20,000 for undergraduates.
- Amount depends on length of study.
- Opportunity to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
- Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.
- Boren Application Deadline: February 4, 2015. Check with Study Abroad Office for earlier Longwood deadline.
- For more information, visit the Boren Scholarship website.
Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are desinged to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad.
- There are 50 abailable grants for $1,000 each.
- Open to any undergraduate student who meets the following requirements:
- Must have a 3.75 GPA or higher.
- Must have applied and/or been accepted into a study abroad program.
- previous winners are not eligible to apply.
- To apply go to PhiKappaPhi.org/StudyAbroad to access an online application.
- Deadline for next summer and fall is February 15, 2015.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
You can research many more study abroad scholarship opportunities by searching following databases of study abroad scholarships.