Text Size Print
Activities & Traditions
Longwood University's Physical & Health Education Teacher Education majors have a rich history of professional involvement. Throughout the year PHETE majors attend and present at professional conferences at the state and regional level.
Students traditionally complete all of their courses within the Health, Athletic Training, Recreation, and Kinesiology Department with the same cohort group. Therefore, PHETE majors are close-knit and participate in many academic and social learning opportunities together.
In addition, through their involvement with the schools and various organizations on campus, PHETE majors provide multiple volunteer service hours to the community.
Physical Education Majors Club (PHETE First):
PHETE First is an organization designed to support, encourage, and provide professional opportunities and experiences; to promote professional growth and understanding; and to encourage participation in professional activities at the local, state, and national levels. Participation in the state VAHPERD and national AAHPERD conventions are encouraged, as they afford students multiple opportunities to network in the professional arena. Membership in this organization is open to anyone with an interest in physical education, health education, dance or coaching.
PHETE First seeks to:
- Encourage, guide, and support professional growth and development in health, physical education, coaching and dance.
- Communicate the importance of health, leisure and movement-related activities as they contribute to human well-being.
- Coordinate and administer a planned program of professional, public activities that will improve education in areas of health and movement-related activities.
- Conduct other activities for the benefit of the university and Prince Edward County and surrounding area.
Phi Epsilon Kappa
Phi Epsilon Kappa Fraternity is a national professional fraternity for persons engaged in or pursuing careers in physical education, health, recreation, human performance, exercise science, and athletic training. Membership is open to all persons interested in the purposes of the Fraternity and providing time and energy for the benefit of the above-mentioned areas. Longwood University's chapter invites individuals to become members.
Faculty Sponsor: Mrs. Alicia Peterson email@example.com
The PHETE Program is structured to include many quality field experiences. These experiences are necessary for the teacher candidates to take the content of the college classroom and be able to use it in the schools.
Scholarships & Awards
- HARK Department Awards
- CEHS Awards
- State and National Awards
- Virginia Standards of Learning in Health Education and Physical Education
- National Standards in Health Education(pdf)
- National Standards in Physical Education (pdf)
- American Alliance of Health, Physical education, Recreation, and Dance
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical education, Recreation, and Dance
Related Web Sites from AAHPERD
- American Heart Association
- Canadian AHPERD
- CDC - State Legislative Information
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- National Bone Health Campaign
- National Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity
- NCATE Accredited Schools, Colleges, and Departments of Education
- No Child Left Behind
- Ontario Kinesiology Association
- PE Central
- President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
- Special Olympics So Get Into It
- Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health
- The Coalition for a Healthy and Active America
- U.S. Department of Education
Health Education Web Sites
- PE Central
- Health Teacher
- Lesson Plans
- Health In Schools
- Cancer Control Planet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- ETR Associates