Text Size Print
There are many student organizations available within the Department of Health, Athletic Training, Recreation and Kinesiology. These organizations will provide you with a fledgling professional network, opportunities for volunteer work and other hands-on experiences, opportunities to attend conferences as a participant or a presenter.
Student Professional Preparation
- Therapeutic Recreation Organization
- Phi Epsilon Kappa (Honor Society, by invitation)
The Therapeutic Recreation students are offered a myriad of opportunities to be involved in the community, some of these:
- Special Olympics (Regional Basketball)
- Arthritis Aquatics (weekly sessions) All year
- Octoberfest at Longwood
- Longwood Ambassadors
- Sankofa Ambassadors
- Heartland Horse Heroes
The Therapeutic Recreation Seniors are given a send off by the Junior students at the end of each fall. This event is to launch the senior student to their spring semester internship, and to thank them for the commitment to their program, school, and community service. The function is attended by faculty and usually comprises a senior dinner, a roasting, and other entertainment.
The faculty belongs to a wide variety of professional organizations, students are encouraged, and many have memberships in state organizations.
- American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA)
- National Park and Recreation Association
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
- National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE)