Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Types of Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

All Federal Work-Study jobs are based on a student's financial need. Each student applying for FWS must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The analysis of the form determines the amount of financial need for each student. Although the financial aid award notification will indicate the maximum amount which the student is eligible to earn for the year, the amount requested by the supervisor will also determine how much the student will probably earn. The Employment Authorization Form will indicate the average number of hours the student must work each week to earn this amount. The financial aid award does not guarantee job placement.


Community Service Program (CSP)

The CSP provides a federal work-study eligible student with employment opportunities related to public service and his/her academic pursuits. The wage is determined through an agreement with college and the employer, and is based on job duties and responsibilities. Total earnings cannot exceed the amount of the federal work-study award.

An undergraduate or graduate student is eligible to participate in this program provided the student meets the following requirements:

  • Enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, in a degree-seeking  course of study
  • Have demonstrated financial need
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Meet the employer's job requirements
  • Majoring in area relating to job

The student makes application for CSP through the Student Employment Coordinator. The Financial Aid Office determines amount of federal work-study eligibility.


Longwood/College Work-Study (CWS)

The Longwood/College Work-Study Program is designed for those students who do not have a FAFSA determined financial need, but have shown an interest and a desire to work. All Longwood students may apply for CWS. A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required of upperclassmen.

The funds used to pay these students are institutional and the program is administered parallel to the Federal Work-Study Program. Due to limitation of funds, students should apply early if they wish to be employed under this program.

Hiring and job vacancy forms can be found in the Human Resources Office and on this website.


Off-Campus Employment

The Student Employment Coordinator assists students in locating employment off-campus. However, we are unable to research the integrity of each organization or person that lists a job with us. It is the responsibility of the student to research the integrity of the organization to which he/she is applying. Longwood is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of off-campus employment.