We do not offer direct application for the Cormier Honors College but use a two-tiered process: the Admissions office screens incoming applicants for our minimum SAT 1200 or ACT 27 and a 3.5 unweighted GPA for academic core courses. Honors then reviews those files meeting the minimum criteria for evidence of a rigorous course load and leadership in extracurricular activities. Students meeting our expectations are then sent an invitation to apply to the Honors College and the prompt for our application essay.
*Transferring students from the Virginia Community College system and from senior institutions with recognized Honors Programs may normally apply completed Honors courses from their previous institutions toward Longwood's Honors College requirements.
Complete 8 Honors courses before graduation
- Three must be 300 level or above
- Multiple honors courses can be taken simultaneously
- Honors English 400 and Honors Longwood Seminar are required
- Honors 202 may be substituted for Honors Longwood Seminar for students entering the Honors College after the first semester
- Make good progress by completing an Honors course at least every other semester
- Maintain a 3.25 GPA in Honors coursework
- Maintain a 3.25 GPA overall
- Complete a Longwood approved, credit-bearing study abroad program
- Complete a senior-level e-portfolio
These curricular components are signatures of the CHC; they provide students with important international experience as well as meaningful, integrative, upper-level work.
2012-2013 Edition (pdf)
Full details of this and all other academic programs at Longwood University can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.