Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page


Frequently Asked Questions

Who has to study abroad?

All Cormier Honors College students who entered the Honors College in the catalog year 2009-2010 and after must have a study abroad experience of two weeks or more. Foreign language/ESL majors are required to study abroad for at least one semester.

When should I study abroad?

The earlier you plan, the more likely it is that you will be able to fulfill multiple General Education Goals through studying abroad.  You are free to go whenever is most convenient for you, but most students study abroad before their senior year.

How long do I have to study abroad?

The minimum is two weeks, but many students study abroad for a semester or even an academic year.  Foreign language/ESL majors are required to study abroad for at least one semester.

How much will it cost?

Costs vary depending upon your study abroad experience.  Short-stay group trips are usually between $2000-3000 and your plane ticket, housing, and some meals are provided.  Keep in mind that you pay for the credit hours you receive separately.  Longer experiences will probably be more expensive.  Also, don't forget that you need to pay a non-refundable $250 study abroad fee prior to departure.

Will I need a visa to study abroad?

For short-stay experiences, no.  In most countries, you will only need a visa if you are planning to be in the country for more than 90 days, but visa regulations vary by country.  Check with the embassy or your study abroad group leader.

Will I need a passport?

Yes.  Passports can take a long time to process, so plan ahead!  If you are planning on studying abroad next year but you do not have a passport, apply for one now.  Visit a United States Post Office for an application.  If you already have a passport, make sure that it will not expire before or while you are abroad.

Where should I study abroad?

Anywhere!  Longwood offers a wide range of programs but the Honors College and Study Abroad Office will help you go wherever you would like to study!  Find a country that interests you and plan from there.


Do I need insurance while studying abroad?

Longwood requires you to have health insurance while abroad.  Check with your insurance provider to see if you are covered while abroad.  If you are not covered, visit http://www.myisic.com/ to obtain inexpensive yet sufficient health insurance for your study abroad experience.

What do I need to do before I study abroad?

Fill out and turn in the following documents to the Study Abroad Office (Some documents will be turned in earlier than others). Available on the Study Abroad website. :

 Study Abroad Application

Conditions of Participation (to be signed by you and your parents)

Faculty Recommendation

Health Report and Release

Scholarship Application

Request for Transfer Credit Authorization Form

Longwood University Course Registration Form

Flight Details

Study Abroad Deposit Slip (+ $250 check to be paid to Cashiering)

Copy of health insurance information

Risk Management form

State Department Registration