Mission & Goals
In congruence with Longwood's mission to develop students as citizen leaders, the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) is committed to helping students become full participants [partners] in their own health by the learning of self care and wellness behaviors. We accomplish this through the provision of health education, preventative services, and clinical care; thereby optimizing academic success and preparing students to become active members of society who make positive contributions to the common good.
The Student Health & Wellness Center (SHWC) has seven major goals:
- Educate the student body on appropriate self-care and wellness behaviors
- Provide appropriate clinical care to individual students
- Prevent the seasonal influenza virus from having a significant impact on the campus community
- Provide practical opportunities for Longwood University students in the form of internships and clinical rotations
- Advise the student health advisory board and peer health educators
- Provide substance abuse and sexual misconduct prevention programs for students
- Ensure that all full time students attending Farmville campus are in compliance with state mandated health requirements.