Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Financial Reminders

All account balances must be paid, in full, and/or "secured" by financial aid or third party payers on, or before, the semester payment due date.

Any student account not paid in full will be assessed a late payment fee of 10% of the unsecured past-due account balance as prescribed in 2.2-4805 of the Code of Virginia. Failure to receive a bill will not waive the requirement for payment when due and will not prevent the application of the late payment fee. Any student with an unpaid account balance may have her/his course schedule cancelled following the original payment due date.


Dropping a Course

A course MUST be dropped by the add/drop deadline for the individual class(es) through (1) myLongwood or (2) by notifying the Registrar's Office in writing using the Schedule Change Form which is found under 'Forms' on the Registrar's Office website, www.longwood.edu/registrar/.  The completed Schedule Change Form can be sent via U.S. mail, delivered in person, or sent via your Longwood e-mail address to registrar@longwood.edu if you have the capability to scan the completed document and attach it to your e-mail message.  (It is the student's responsibility to confirm receipt of faxed and/or e-mailed items by calling the Registrar's Office at 434.395.2580.)  Not attending a class or not signing into an online course does NOT constitute dropping a course. The student is responsible for actively dropping the course following one of these two procedures by the required date or tuition and fees will be charged and no refunds provided.


Tuition & Fees

Tuition and Fees vary by the term (Fall, Spring, Summer or Winter Intersession), the level of the class (undergraduate or graduate), the class location (on-campus, off-campus or online) and by residency status (in-state or out-of-state).


Electronic Billing

ALL STUDENTS access their billing account through myLongwood. No paper bills are mailed. All billing is through Longwood e-mail and the myLongwood portal.

Payment methods using a credit or debit account with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express, or an automatic draft from a bank account are available through the myLongwood Student tab at "My Student Accounts". A non-refundable convenience fee of 2.75% will be assessed on all credit or debit card payments. ACH Bank Draft payments will be processed at no cost to the user. Students may elect to designate "authorized users" to access their student account. Authorized users will be emailed the procedures for accessing the student account.


Already Enrolled Non-Degree Seeking, Non-Admitted Students

Non-degree seeking, non-admitted students who have enrolled at Longwood within the past year may access the myLongwood portal to see and pay bills following the same above methods, if desired.  An active, current password is necessary to access myLongwood - contact the HelpDesk if yours has expired.  (434.395.4357, toll free 877.267.7883, or helpdesk@longwood.edu)


First Time Non-Degree Seeking, Non-Admitted Students

First time Longwood students who are non-degree seeking, non-admitted students may pay online using a credit card once they activate their Longwood ID, username and temporary password. About 24 hours after the Longwood Registration Form is received in the Registrar's Office, the HelpDesk will provide the student identification information via e-mail to the personal e-mail address provided on the submitted registration form.  They will also provide the information to callers (434.395.4357 or toll free 877.267.7883).  If you prefer to pay by check or money order, it can be mailed immediately upon registration to Cashiering & Student Accounts, Longwood University, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909.


Students with Third Party Payers

Students who have third party payers (such as employers) must get the third party payer certified as a provider by the Student Accounts Office. Contact Students Accounts for detailed information and assistance. Prior to the semester billing date, a student must provide Longwood University's Student Accounts Office with an official Authorization for Tuition Assistance letter or form. Authorizations for tuition assistance should be submitted at the time of registration to avoid the possible assessment of late payment fees. (Mailing address: Office of Student Accounts, Longwood University, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909)

Please note: An Authorization for Tuition Assistance is a signed letter or form granting Longwood University permission to bill the student's employer directly. Longwood University will give credit for employer authorized tuition assistance only if the employer guarantees payment directly to Longwood University. If the employer provides tuition assistance only upon satisfactory completion of the course, the student must pay all charges by the billing date or at the time of registration whichever comes first.