Becoming successful in managing your own personal finances
Through our daily contact with students, we have observed, as we take care of students' financial needs and situations, that many students do not understand the basic financial components needed to make positive decisions regarding their financial aid and/or their own personal finances. Often students contact their parents or guardians before making financial aid decisions, which we encourage; however, it is our goal that students, as well as parents, understand their financial aid options and the consequences of their decisions. Financial literacy will help students understand the consequences of student loan default and credit-card debt.
The following websites offer students the basic information on valuable financial life skills, such as budgeting, borrowing, saving, using credit cards, opening bank accounts, completing loan applications, managing debt, understanding consumer rights and responsibilities, etc., that would assist them in becoming successful at managing their own personal finances.
- Access Group, Inc.
- SunTrust Bank - Money Management Brochures
- National Student Loan Program
- Educational Credit Management Corporation
- Show Me the Future
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid - Apply for financial aid.
- National Student Loan Database - Access information on your student loans.
- The Financial Aid Information Page - Learn about all types of financial aid, search for scholarships, ask questions, utilize calculator tools.
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators - Parent and student guide to Federal tax benefits for tuition and fees.
- Fastweb - Free Scholarship Search.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia - Access a wide variety of educational topics from the Commonwealth of Virginia's home page.
- College Board - Helpful tips on college readiness, college admission, guidance, assessment, financial aid, enrollment, and teaching and learning.
- Federal Student Aid Site - The U.S. Government's student financial aid site to assist in planning for a postsecondary education.