Longwood University believes strongly in the importance of practical, as well as theoretical learning.
A field experience approach is used within the school counseling concentrations to provide students with on-site experiences that offer a comprehensive view of school counseling. Students are required to complete 150 supervised clock hours at each of all three levels (elementary, middle, and high school).
Prerequisites: 24 hours of coursework including COUN 503, 505, 545, 555, 605, 610, and 612. Supervisory fee - $25.00 per credit hour. 3 credits required. Continuous enrollment required.
Responsibilities of the Practicum Student
- The student is expected to be familiar with the guidelines and expectations of the Longwood University Counseling Program.
- The student is responsible for securing a placement. If the placement is located in a public school, the student must have approval from the school counselor and the district Director of Guidance.
- The student must file an Intent to Register Form for the practicum at least 45 days prior to beginning the practicum.
- The student is required to participate in all practicum class sessions planned by the faculty advisor.
- The student will prepare a proposal, which will address the practicum objectives in consultation with the faculty supervisor and the practicum supervisor. This proposal will outline the activities and timelines of the practicum experience.
- The student will act as a professional and responsible person at all times during the practicum. The student is required to uphold the ethical standards of the American Counseling Association.
- The student will remain continuously enrolled in at least one credit hour of COUN 638 until all required practicum clock hours are completed.
Responsibilities of the Faculty Supervisor
- The faculty supervisor will coordinate the student's field placement with the Director of Professional Studies (Hull 141).
- The faculty supervisor is responsible for communicating to the field supervisor the expectations for the practicum student and the experiences desired.
- The faculty supervisor will meet with the student on a regularly scheduled basis for class seminars during the practicum and for other meetings with the student and the field supervisor on as-needed basis.
- The faculty supervisor must grant written approval of the proposal presented by the student prior to the start of the practicum.
- The faculty supervisor is the person responsible for assignment of the course grade after consultation with the field supervisor.
Responsibilities of the Field Supervisor
- Orient the student to the site and the organizational structure of the program.
- Serve as a consultant to the student by providing assistance to the student in the development of the student's proposal.
- Introduce the student to the other members of the site staff.
- Provide the student with regular feedback and communicate with the faculty supervisor as scheduled to evaluate the student's process.
- Serve as a resource for the student in sharing ideas related to theory, techniques and materials.
- Complete the practicum evaluation form at the end of the semester.