Text Size Print
University Diversity Council
Diversity Council Mission
The primary mission of the University Diversity Council is to develop, recommend, and sponsor policies, procedures, and programs that facilitate a more diverse and pluralistic campus community that is welcoming, safe, and affirming for all.
- Serves as an advisory forum, advocacy group, and resource for campus concerns and opinions pertaining to diversity, pluralism, and inclusion.
- Sponsors and coordinates programs for students, faculty, and staff that promote diversity education and multicultural competencies.
- Identifies and recommends institutional policies and procedures that foster and enhance an inclusive community.
- The Council website and diversity portal (http://www.longwood.edu/diversity.htm) serves as a resource for both internal and external constituents.
President's Diversity Fund Proposal
Council Membership 2012-2013
Council Chair & Co-Chair
- Courtney Jones, Interim Director for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- Dr. David Magill, Assistant Professor of English
- Cameron Patterson, Program Coordinator for the Office of Disability Resources
- Jonnelle Davis, Assistant Director for Student Union Events and Operations
- Onie McKenzie, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
- Justin McDowell,Residence Education Coordinator (Fraizer Residence Hall)
- Orlander Fleming, SeniorAdmissions Counselor for Emerging Populations & Out of State Recruitment
- Ashley Woodard, Assistant Director of Admissions
- Larry Robertson, Dean of Students & Executive Director of RCL
- Dr. Wayne O'Brien, Counselor; University Counseling Center
- Bob Zupanek, Campus Minister; Johns Memorial Episcopal Church
- Monique Bates, Residence Education Coordinator (Cox-Wheeler Residence Halls)
- Dr. Jennifer Capaldo, Assistant Professor of Music (Voice)
- Dr. Pam Tracy, Associate Professor of Communication Studies & Director of CAFE
- Dr. Carl Riden, Co-Director Women & Gender Studies / Associate Professor of Sociology
- Dr. Naomi Johnson, Co-Director Women's and Gender Studies Program /Assistant Professor of Communication Studies
- Susan Stinson, Adjunct Instructor in English / Advisor to Longwood Student Veterans
- Jonathan Page, Lecturer in English and Modern Languages
- Diane Easter, Special Assistant to the President and Director of Events & Ceremonies
- Pierre Somoray, Chair of the Student Diversity and Inclusion Council (SDIC)
- Assist with the evaluation phases of the 2010-11 Campus Diversity Survey results
- Environmentally focused research and assessments (i.e., study of how diversity is presented through the recruiting and admission process; study of participation rates of underrepresented students in various student services, activities, and programs, etc.)
- Develop and execute new council programs including, Culture in the Classroom, and PRAXIS: Discussions around Difference.
- Collaborate with the Student Diversity and Inclusion Council (SDIC) on university-wide programming
- Develop at least one diversity focused research presentation and or journal article