Temporary Injury Policy - Office of Disability Resources
- Have you recently injured your leg, knee, or foot and are now utilizing crutches?
- Have you injured your hand or wrist and are now unable to write or keep up with note taking?
- Have you sustained a concussion and are feeling overwhelmed by your coursework?
Temporary medical conditions, such as injuries, surgeries, or acute illnesses, do not qualify as disabilities and are not covered under federal disability laws. The means of the Office of Disability Resources is limited to serving students with permanent disabilities; however, we do understand that accidents happen, and when they do, here are some helpful tips to get you through this challenging time:
- Notify your professors as soon as possible. They are your most important allies. Keep them informed of difficulties you are facing and be proactive by suggesting possible solutions (use of a laptop if you have a hand injury, timeline for making up missed work, etc.). Decisions regarding accommodating your temporary needs are at the discretion of your professors.
- If your injury impacts your ability to attend classes for more than a couple days, notify your college’s Academic Dean’s Office:
- Cook-Cole College of Arts & Sciences
- College of Business & Economics
- College of Education & Human Services
- College of Graduate & Professional Studies
- For mobility related injuries, contact our office at 434-395-2391. We can work with Parking Services to assist you in obtaining a temporary accessible (handicapped) parking permit that is good for 7 days. This allows you time to get to the DMV to obtain a 90-day pass, if needed.
- If your injury is such that you need to utilize a wheelchair, individuals can rent wheelchairs that are prescribed by a physician from West Home Health Care, INC here in Farmville. The company will deliver the wheelchair to the individual directly. Please note, due to liability, Longwood does not provide wheelchairs or golf cart transportation.
- West Home Health Care, INC
- 1506 South Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901
- (434) 392-7337
- If your injury is such that you need help from a personal care attendant, please contact Home Recover-Home Aid, INC here in Farmville:
- 816 East Third Street, Farmville, VA 23901
- Phone: (434) 392-7336
- Email: email@example.com
- If you are a student who is pregnant or breastfeeding and in need of assistance or would like to discuss appropriate accommodations, please contact our office at 434-395-2391 or firstname.lastname@example.org