Registration & Documentation
Register With Disability Resources
- Call our office at 434-395-2391 or stop by our office in Graham Hall.
- We will provide you with a Registration Form (pdf) that needs to be filled out. Completed forms can be mailed or handed to us in person.
Provide Disability Documentation
- After the Registration Form (pdf) has been completed and returned to us, we will give you the LU Documentation Guidelines for your specific disability(ies) or you can access them on the website: General Guidelines | Specific Disability Guidelines
- Next step is for you to provide us with documentation from an appropriate licensed professional that follows the LU Documentation Guidelines and documents the presence and impact of your disability.
- Along with the documentation you can also include any records of accommodations/services provided to you in previous academic settings (e.g. IEP, SOP, Section 504 Plans, or letters from other collegiate institutions).
Schedule An Intake Appointment
- Once we receive your documentation, we will review all documentation that you have submitted.
- After reviewing your documentation, we will contact you if your documentation meets criteria.
- If it doesn't meet criteria, then we will let you know the areas where your documentation is lacking pertinent information. It is your responsibility to contact the evaluator and/or medical professional and obtain the information and then make sure we receive any additional information to add to the original documentation submitted.
- If it does meet criteria, then we call you to schedule an Intake Appointment.
- At the Intake Appointment we will discuss your documentation, accommodations, and services that may be available to you and fill out the necessary paperwork. This appointment typically runs about a half hour but may take up to 45 minutes.
- You are now ready to receive and use services!
Receiving Your Accommodations Every Semester
- After your initial Intake Appointment, at the beginning of every semester you will need to call us to schedule an Accommodations Appointment, send your accommodation request to email@example.com or come in to complete the Accommodation Request form. You can fill out an (pdf) and print it before your appointment. You can also submit this form online by clicking the red submit button at the bottom of the form. You can also fill it out, save it, and attach it to an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Accommodations Appointment will take a half hour or less. Please bring your schedule of classes and your instructor's names.
- We will discuss each class and prepare accommodation letters with you. In addition to accommodation letters, we will get your up to date contact information and inform you of important dates or announcements that may be helpful to you.
- Once you have your accommodation letters, you should make appointments with all your professors to let them know of your accommodation needs and give them the letter from our office.