What is an Accommodation?
An accommodation is a modification that is made to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that eliminates or minimizes disability-related barriers to allow for equal access.
There is often more than one way to accommodate a situation or activity. In order for an accommodation to be considered reasonable, however, it must meet four criteria:
- It must not compromise the objectives of a course, program, job, activity, or facility.
- It must not cause an undue administrative or financial hardship.
- It must not compromise safety to you or others.
- It must not fundamentally alter a course or program.
It is important to note that accommodations from elementary and secondary education can often be different from what is considered reasonable at the post-secondary level. Accommodations are determined by the Director and Assistant Director of Disability Resources on an individual, case-by-case basis.
Possible Accommodations at Longwood University
- Extended Time
- Distraction Reduced Testing Enviroment
- Use of computer and/or other assistive technology
- Supplemental notes for class provided by the professor or another student in the class
- Use of a tape recorder to record lectures
- All students who receive this accommodation will need to sign the Contract for Students Who Request Note-Takers (pdf) before receiving the notes.
Alternate Format & Assistive Technology
- Audio Textbooks on CD format through RFB&D library
- Electronic Format of textbooks through Access Text & Bookshare
- Alternate Format FAQ Sheet (pdf)
- Kurzweil Software for Use in the Office, Library, & Campus Labs
- Zoom Text Software for Use in the Office, Library, & Campus Labs
- JAWS Software for Use in the Office, Library, & Campus Labs
- Read Outloud Software for Use in the Office, Library, Campus Labs, & Personal Computers
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Software for Use in the Office, Library & Campus Labs
Technology & Equipment
- FM systems to check out for sound amplification in class
- Electronic spell check to use
- Reading Pens
- Livescribe Pens
- Digital Recorders
- Library and Lab Assistants
- Attendant Care Services
- Voters Registration
- Temporary Disability Parking