Guest Information: Undergraduate Ceremony
Things to Note
- Please arrive early and be seated by 9:00 a.m., as the processional starts at approximately 9:15 a.m.
- Graduation is a formal academic ceremony and a special day for the graduates. Please respect this occasion and the graduates by remaining seated and quiet during the ceremony.
- For accessibility needs, contact the Office of Disability Resources at 434-395-2391,by 5 pm on May 11. First-aid stations are located on Wheeler Mall.
- With over 7,000 guests at Commencement, we suggest you designate a spot to meet your party after the ceremony.
- Only registered service animals are permitted. With the number of visitors on campus, we do not allow pets.
- Approximately 7,000 chairs for guests are on Wheeler. Please note that many seats are in the sun and plan accordingly. Umbrellas are not allowed in the general seating area because they block the view of the other guests.
- Jarman Auditorium will be open with live web streaming, if you want to get out of the sun.
- Smoking is allowed in designated locations only.
- The undergraduate ceremony is webcast live and the video streaming link will be available from the main Commencement page on the day of the ceremony.
- The ceremony is over at approximately 12:30.
Parking is available throughout the campus at any open campus parking lot. Shuttles are provided from the Wynne lot near the baseball stadium. If you have accessibility needs, such as accessible parking, contact the Office of Disability Resources at 434.395.2391.
In keeping with tradition, Commencement is held outside on Wheeler Mall, rain or shine. Longwood does not have an indoor facility large enough to accommodate our graduates and guests. The rain plan will be put in place in the event of extreme weather events only and will be announced by 6 a.m. on the day of commencement at the latest. The rain plan can be found by clicking here.
Flowers and Gifts
The Interfraternity Council will be selling flowers and the Longwood Bookstore will have Longwood gift items available for sale. Look for the tables on Wheeler Mall near the Blackwell Fountain.
Longwood Dining Services will offer various snacks, drinks, and breakfast biscuits for sale on Wheeler Mall.
Free bus shuttle service is provided from 7:45 a.m.-9:15 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.at the following locations: Longwood Village, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Super 8, Sunchase, Hampton Inn, and Lancer Park.
Shuttles will also run between the Wynne parking lot to front of Jarman Hall near Wheeler Mall. Signs posted on Main Street will direct you to the Wynne lot at the corner of Main Street and Wynne Drive (near #42 on the campus map).
- Stay Locally! A comprehensive list of places to stay in the immediate Farmville area is available here.
- Stay on Campus! Longwood Commencement Guest Housing - Reservations closed on April 7.