Convocation 2016 will be held Thursday, September 8, 4:00 p.m. , Wheeler Mall
Longwood University celebrates the official opening of the academic year with the Convocation Ceremony. Convocation is a formal ceremony where seniors wear academic regalia and are initiated into their final year of university education. At Longwood, we honor the transition into seniorhood with the traditional capping ceremony. Distinguished faculty members are presented awards and a keynote speaker gives the address. This year, Convocation is on Thursday, September 8 at 4 pm on Wheeler Mall.
- Seniors and cappers report to Wheeler Mall at 3:15 p.m. or as soon as you are dismissed from classes ending at 3:15.
- Seniors and cappers can be seated upon arrival. Seniors are seated directly in front of their capper. Junior Marshals will assist you with seating.
- Seniors need to wear their academic gown (no hood) and dark shoes. You may purchase caps and gowns in the Longwood Bookstore.
- Faculty lineup in Jarman Hall.
- Platform Party members lineup in Lancaster Hall.
- Seniors/Cappers will not process. Faculty and Platform Party members will process. Seniors/Cappers and guests stand during the processional and recessional.
- Limited guest seating will be available on Wheeler Mall.
- Guest parking is available in the Pine Street South Lot off Wynne Drive. If this is full, please park in the Vernon Street or Putney Street lots.
- Contact Disability Resources, 395-1240.
- Academic Regalia?
Contact the Bookstore, 391-1240.
- Other Questions?
Contact Office of the President, 395-4806 or 395-2001
The Fun Part of Convocation
- Each senior may ask an underclassman to serve as capper. The capper decorates the senior's mortarboard with mementos of the senior's Longwood experience and "caps" his/her senior at the appropriate time in the ceremony.
- Each senior may have ONLY ONE CAPPER.
- Seniors may elect to cap each other or not have a capper
- Cappers bring the decorated caps or the senior brings his/her own cap.