Alpha Chi Sigma (AXΣ)
Alpha Chi Sigma is one of a kind. Following the original concept for a fraternity as an academic organization, AXΣ is the only professional chemistry fraternity. Over 100 years old with more than 65,800 members, AXΣ brings together men and women pursuing a wide variety of chemistry-related careers.
|Collegiate members benefit from a local group to not only help with their studies but also projects and activities that teach the roles of leadership and management. We also provide an opportunity to create lifelong friendships with others interested in chemistry. Sometimes it's just nice to walk into a room and be able to tell a chemistry joke.|
The purposes of Alpha Chi Sigma are reflected in the three Objects of the Fraternity, which expresses the true ideals of all of its members. The three Objects of Alpha Chi Sigma are:
- To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship.
- To strive for the advancement of chemistry both as a science and as a profession.
- To aid its members by every honorable means in the attainment of their ambitions as chemists throughout their mortal lives.
CHEM Wizards is a peer tutoring program offered for general chemistry (CHEM 111/112). This program is offered in collaboration with Longwood’s Center for Academic Success (http://www.longwood.edu/academicsuccess/index.html ). Upperclass students who have successfully completed general chemistry offer weekly group tutoring sessions as well as one-on-one tutoring for students in these classes. For more information about the CHEM Wizards program, please contact Dr. Sarah Porter (email@example.com).
Society of Physics Students (SPS)
The Society of Physics Students (SPS) is a professional association designed specifically for students. Membership is open to anyone interested in physics. You do not have to be a physics major or minor to join SPS.
For more information about joining, please contact Dr. Tim Holmstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org
PhysCon Trip - Orlando, FL
A group of 9 Longwood University SPS members and 1 faculty advisor attended the 2012 Quandrennial Physics Congress hosted by Sigma Pi Sigma.
Sigma Pi Sigma (Σ Π Σ)
Sigma Pi Sigma exists to:
- Honor outstanding scholarship in physics
- Encourage interest in physics among students at all levels
- Promote an attitude of service of its members towards their fellow students, colleagues, and the public
- Provide a fellowship of persons who have excelled in physics.