Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Academic Advising

Who is my advisor?

The easiest way to find out who your advisor is, is to log into myLongwood. Under the Academic Profile section of the page, you will find your advisor's name. If you have trouble, call your academic department.

Academic Advising Responsibilities


Choosing a Major

  • Read the University Catalogs
    Read the college catalog. Sounds funny right? But studying the course descriptions can help give you ideas about courses that might be of interest to you. Go through all the course descriptions, highlight those that interest you. Take at least one course in the areas that interest you.
  • Talk to Faculty and Upperclassmen in the Majors of Interest
    They probably taught or took the courses that you highlighted. What do they like most about their field? Least? What do you have in common with them? Gather information from several individuals to get a full idea of the field.
  • Talk with Alumni and Other Professionals
    You will be amazed at the range of career fields represented by a single major. Find out what people working in that field thought was helpful for their career preparation. Find out what they would change if they could do it all over again. A staff member in the Academic & Career Advising Center can help you with this.
  • Strong Interest Inventory
    The Academic & Career Advising Center uses the Strong Interest Inventory to help students choose majors and explore career options.
  • Talk with an Academic/Career Advisor
    Call 395-2063 or stop by Lancaster Hall, G08-A to schedule an time to meet with someone in the Academic & Career Advising Center.
  • Other Resources
    • Majors & Minors at Longwood
    • My Majors - Student-friendly assessment technology to explore which majors might be right for you.

Undeclared Majors

The Academic & Career Advising Center only provides academic advising for undeclared students.

Declaring a Major

To officially declare a major, an undeclared student must complete and file a Change of Major Form. Students may declare a major any time after admission but must do so by the time they have earned 45 credit hours.

The best time to declare your major is not during the advising/registration time period (mid March).  Instead, declare your major earlier or later in the semester to allow time paperwork to be processed and for you to introduce yourself to your new advisor prior to advising and registration so you aren't meeting for the very first time during a hectic time of year.

How it's done:

  • Print a "Change of Major" form 
  • Complete and sign it
  • Take it to your new Department Secretary**
  • Secretary will ask Department Chair** to sign it
  • Department Chair will assign you a new academic advisor
  • Take the form to the Registration Office to be processed 

Athletes will also need to get the signature of the Athletics Academic Support Coordinator before submitting to the Registration Office.

** For faculty/staff contact info, please use the online faculty/staff directory