Longwood University has a number of construction projects in progress or scheduled to begin in the near future.
North Campus Apartments at Lancer Park
Construction has commenced on a housing expansion at Lancer Park that will provide Longwood with the beds necessary to replace the Cunninghams.
With architectural design that emulates many components familiar to Longwood's campus, the "North Campus Student Housing" project at Lancer Park will comprise:
- three buildings
- two residential structures each containing 227 bedrooms in one, two and four bedroom apartment configurations
- one Commons building which will be home to a food service operation and student gathering space
The new buildings are slated to be ready for occupancy in the fall of 2013.
The scope of the project is to provide space for the University's Information Technology Services Department (ITS) and selected aspects of the Communication Studies and Theater department (CST) within the existing French Hall building. In general, the space for ITS shall consist of open office areas, conference areas, and computer labs, student help desk area, waiting areas, student radio station, work rooms and storage areas. This project will relocate the University's main computer operations center. The current system at Coyner will be extended through a new vault room in Coyner, and cabled to the new University Technology Center at French Hall. The space for CTS will consist of a media production facility; the media production facility will consist of a main set room, control rooms, editing bays, offices, and storage rooms. Site demolition will include the following: the French Hall Natatorium, the field house and its connector to Tabb Hall, and the demo and relocation of the tennis courts to the south end of campus.
- Curry Commons and Coyner roof - this project has been postponed to late spring of 2013.
- Stevens/McCorkle/Barlow windows - this project is in it's final stages in Barlow.
- Dining Hall pizza oven - this project is in the process of being completed.