PRAXIS / VCLA assistance
We have several resources to assist you with Math Praxis Case: Core Assessment of Skills for Educators. The last two options are relatively inexpensive alternatives to the traditional practice books.
(1) We now offer tutoring for the PRAXIS I Math. You can view the available sessions for specific course here: http://blogs.longwood.edu/tutoring/
(2) The link below is available from the company that creates the PRAXIS CASE. It is free.
(3) There are a number of books you may purchase. Beware…the PRAXIS CASE (new test January 2014) is different from the PPST. Make sure that you use the CASE books! There are several on 3 hour reserve in the library.
(4) There is a Canvas course (non credit and no fee!) to assist with PRAXIS math. Please note that this was created before the new test. It is more to guide practice of math problems. Anyone may be added to this course. Please use your Longwood email to contact Rebecca Sturgill at firstname.lastname@example.org and state that you would like to be added to the course.
(5) An electronic tutoring package newly available to Longwood provides a large selection of modules for you to use as you prepare for your math test. You may choose to test yourself on all of the modules or you may choose to work in areas that you know you are weak. Each module gives you a problem and if you solve it correctly, you can go on to the next one. If you have trouble with the problem there are several levels of tutoring and guided practice problems that will coach you to understanding of the problem. And then you can go on.
This software is available to you through a private company, independent of Longwood, but in collaboration with our office. The cost is minimal – about $25 for access to the software for a full year. Please see the link below for a note from the creator (with notes on getting assistance) and below that the "landing page"!
(6) Dr. Lynn Gardner, a professor at George Mason has written a work book: Core Math Made Easy to help prepare for the PRAXIS Core math test. Copies of the workbook are available on her website: www.mgmtutoring.com PLEASE feel free to explore her website before you purchase, she has practice problems to show what the book covers.
The CAS also provides assistance for the VCLA writing test through our Writing Center.
Please prepare one of the practice essays from the link below (try to stick to the time limit) and when complete bring your work to the Writing Center.