Text Size Print
Longwood University combines a private university experience with the affordability of a state university.
Longwood University, located in the heart of Virginia, is a coeducational public institution offering more than 100 majors, minors and concentrations.
Graduate programs include business, education, English, sociology and communication sciences & disorders.
Longwood requires an internship or research project for every student in every major.
Honors & Awards
- Ranked among the best in the 2015 U.S. News & World Report "U.S. News Best Colleges" rankings. Longwood ranks #11 in the Top Public Schools category for Regional Universities in the South and #30 among all Regional Universities in the South, including private institutions.
- Recognized as one of the "Best Southeastern Colleges" by Princeton Review for 2015 and selected as one of 75 public institutions to be featured in its book, Best Value Colleges: 2013 Edition.
Fitness & Wellness
Longwood's health and physical education facilities offer a wide range of activities and resources including:
- a pool
- dance studio
- athletic training lab
- exercise science lab
- 3,000-seat gymnasium
- nine tennis courts
- nine-hole golf course
- 30-foot rock climbing wall
- indoor track
- basketball and racquetball courts
- weight training equipment
Estimated Annual Tuition, Room, Board and Fees (2015 Fall - 2016 Spring)
|Undergraduate Va. Resident||$10,734 per semester*|
|Undergraduate Non Va. Resident||$17,814 per semester*|
*includes tuition and fees for 15 credit hours, room and a 14 meal/week plan.
For more information about tuition and fees, please visit Cashiering and Student Accounts.
Longwood takes a great deal of pride in its beautiful 60-acre residential campus, where 70 percent of undergraduates live in university-sponsored housing.
Many buildings on campus are done in a red-brick colonial revival style; others, such as the new Health & Fitness Center, have a more contemporary design.
201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909
(view maps and directions)
Longwood is located in the heart of Virginia in Farmville, a dynamic two-college town, with the campus of Hampden-Sydney College less than 10 miles away.
- 65 miles west of Richmond
- 48 miles east of Lynchburg
- 70 miles south of Charlottesville
- 150 miles from Washington, D.C. and Virginia Beach
Also a short drive or road trip away:
- Average class size: 21
- 16% of all classes have 10 or fewer students
- Students/faculty ratio: 17:1
- Full-time faculty with terminal degrees: 82%
Longwood's 4,834 students come from more than 25 states and 18 countries.
- Enrollment: 4,834; 4,355 undergraduates
- 31% male
- 15% minority
- 1064 freshman
- Enrolled freshman SAT mid-range: 940 - 1110
- Enrolled freshman ACT mid-range: 19 - 23
- Enrolled freshman GPA mid-range: 3.06 - 3.62
- Average enrolled transfer GPA: 3.1
- ESL (English as a Second Language) Enrollment: 20
A WORLD of Opportunities
Longwood encourages students to get out of the classroom and into the real world.
Students have the opportunity to study abroad on short-term and long-term programs, for as little as two weeks or as long as an academic year. Longwood offers a variety of study opportunities through faculty-led programs, partner universities, affiliated providers.
Current exchange partners: University of Derby (Derby, England), University of Plymouth (Plymouth, England), Audencia Business School (Nantes, France), University of Nantes (Nantes, Frances), Humboldt University (Berlin, Germany), Hogeschool von Arnhem en Nijmegen (Nijmegen, Netherlands), University of Geneva (Geneva, Switzerland), Lady Doak College (Madurai, India), Universidad Argentina del la Empresa -UADE (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Faculty-Led Programs include: Environmental Sustainability & Economic Development in Costa Rica (Costa Rica), The Archaeology of England in Prehistoric, Roman, and Medieval Times (England), Leadership & Learning (Dominican Republic), Spain General Education Program (Spain), and more.Affiliated Providers include: CAPA International Education, Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE), Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler), Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS), CEPA Europe Foundation, and more.
For more information, visit the Study Abroad website.
Students interested in engineering can earn a masters degree or a second bachelors degree depending on the transfer institution in five years as part of Longwood's 3 + 2 program, offered cooperatively with the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion University, Christopher Newport University and the University of Tennessee.
Longwood’s pre-professional program in the medical sciences prepares students for graduate programs at schools of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, medical technology, dental hygiene, physical therapy, occupational therapy and pharmacy.
Prospective Student or Parent?
Visit whylongwood.com to learn more about Longwood University
and how to join our community.
Longwood is dedicated to the development of citizen leaders who are prepared to make positive contributions to the common good of society.
Read more about our mission and vision
View our one-page strategic plan.
Did You Know?
- Four national sororities, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Zeta Tau Alpha, were founded at Longwood.
- Longwood’s annual Oktoberfest and Spring Weekend bring students, friends and alumni together for a party that rivals any homecoming.
- Rafael Chandler (’99) graduated from Longwood and went on to write popular video games such as SOCOM 4.
- Actor Ransford Doherty (’97), who received a B.F.A. in Theater Performance, has co-starred on multiple TV series including Major Crimes and The Closer, with additional guest appearances on Bones and The Office. He can also be seen alongside Bruce Willis in the movie Hostage.
Life in Farmville
A dynamic two-college town with a hometown appeal.
You'll enjoy historic tours, trails, festivals, theater, fun restaurants, the great outdoors, and numerous stores and quaint shops - all without the congestion or high prices of a big city.