- About Longwood
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Academics & Majors
- Student Life
- Offices & Services
News & Events
- Emergency Communication
- News Releases
- Longwood in the Media
- Faculty & Staff News
- Calendars & Events
- Longwood Magazine
- On Point
- News Feeds
- Faculty Experts
- Media Contacts
- Suggest a Story
Text Size Print
2012 News Releases
Actions by Longwood Board of Visitors
April 5, 2012
The Longwood University Board of Visitors took the following actions during its meeting March 30-31.
- The Board approved allocating up to $1,259,000 from the university's General Auxiliary Reserve Fund and up to $50,000 from Athletic Reserves for several projects:
- $550,000 from the General Auxiliary Reserves for completing the replacement of the HVAC system in Willett Hall. The university is required to provide funding for the nonacademic portion of the project.
- $559,000 from the General Auxiliary Reserves for potential bonuses for faculty and staff if they are approved by the General Assembly. This would cover the university's nongeneral fund portion of the potential bonus if it is approved in the final version of the biennial budget.
- $150,000 from the General Auxiliary Reserves for creating an archives room in Greenwood Library.
- $50,000 from Athletic Reserves to replace siding at the baseball and softball fields. The original siding has deteriorated because of sun damage and temperature changes.
- The Board approved a resolution to renew Level II status with the state, in the areas of information technology and procurement, for the next five years. The Board in September 2009 approved a resolution to enter into a Memoranda of Understanding for Level II, which will expire Jan. 13, 2013. Longwood has benefited from Level II status in a number of ways, including through expanded autonomy from the Virginia Information Technologies Agency and the elimination of the monthly reporting requirement for IT purchases of more than $100,000.
- The Board approved a modification to the Campus Master Plan, "Vision 2020," that will enable the proposed Alumni Center to be built in Blackwell Hall as part of that building's renovation. Original plans called for a property on High Street that is owned by the Longwood Real Estate Foundation to be developed as the Alumni Center.
- The Board approved changes to alcohol and drug policies for intercollegiate athletics. The changes are to Policy 1201, now the Intercollegiate Athletics: Alcohol Policy (formerly Intercollegiate Athletics: Alcohol and Drug Policy) and Policy 1202, now the Intercollegiate Athletics: Drug Policy (formerly Intercollegiate Athletics: Sanctions for Positive Drug Tests).
- The Board approved changes to the Student Handbook (pdf). The changes pertain to policies regarding alcohol and other drugs, the service animal policy, copyright infringement related to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and a policy that specifies what constitutes Longwood-sponsored international travel and how to meet the registration requirements of the Office of International Affairs.
- The Board approved the 2013 audit plan.
- The Board approved a resolution to create a Compensation Task Force to address issues surrounding the lack of competitiveness of faculty and staff compensation. The task force will comprise faculty, staff and Board members, and is charged with creating an action plan to make Longwood more competitive in hiring and retaining outstanding faculty and staff. The task force will explore short-term and long-term solutions to address compensation issues. The members of the task force will be named and will begin their work immediately, and will present the action plan to the full Board of Visitors no later than the end of the fall semester.