The Team examines available information about the student and situation, including strategies already implemented to deal with the behavior, when developing other possible interventions. The Team also looks at patterns of student behavior to identify the need for new policy or programmatic action that the institution may need to consider implementing (e.g. sexual assault, alcohol abuse, misuse of medical withdrawal, etc.).
Broadly, the Care Team addresses:
- Behaviors that impair academic effectiveness when it is suspected that such behaviors are more than the result of irresponsible choices;
- Behavior that is so disruptive that it impacts the ability of the individual or others to successfully participate in campus life;
- Behavior that is dangerous to self and/or others.
The Care Team wants faculty, staff, fellow students, and family members to share concerns about student behavior that they feel is detrimental to the student him/herself or the community. However, it is important that we - as an institution that values diversity - understand that behaviors that may be unique or eccentric are not always detrimental, dangerous or threatening.
To express concern about a student, please send an email to email@example.com or contact our office at 434.395.2485
Care Team Members
- Larry Robertson, Associate Dean of Students and Residential and Commuter Life
- Geoff Orth, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Joanna Baker, Assistant Dean, College of Arts and Science
- Melinda Fowlkes, Assistant Dean, College of Business and Economics
- Wayne White, Associate Dean, College of Education and Human Services
- Bob Beach, Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police
- Rick Chassey, Director of Honor and Judicial Programs
- Wayne O'Brien, Director of Counseling Center
- Margo Potts, Director of Health and Wellness Center
- Angela Jackson, Director of Residential and Commuter Life
- Sarah Whitley, Director of First Year Experience
- Maggie Butler, Director of Disability Services
- Rebecca Sturgill, Director, Learning Center
- Tracey Jarrett, Office Manager and Administrative Assistant to the Associate Dean of Students