Text Size Print
SAVE THE DATE! Convocation 2015 ~ September 10 ~ 4:00 p.m. ~ Lancaster Mall
We celebrate the formal opening of Longwood with the Convocation Ceremony, held outdoors on Lancaster Mall, opposite the spot on Wheeler Mall where the year will close with Commencement in the spring. Convocation is a mix of formal and fun with a keynote speaker, faculty awards, and the "capping" of seniors by another student. Check back for further details including the announcement of the 2015 Convocation speaker.
- Seniors and cappers report to Wheeler Mall at 3:15 p.m. or as soon as you are dismissed from classes ending at 3:15.
- Seniors are seated in front of their capper. Junior Marshals will assist you with seating.
- Seniors need to wear their academic gown (no hood) and dark shoes. You may purchase caps and gowns in the Longwood Bookstore.
- Guest parking is available in the Pine Street South Lot off Wynne Drive. If this is full, please park in the Vernon Street or Putney Street lots.
- Faculty lineup is in Jarman Hall.
- Platform Party lineup is in Lancaster Hall.
- Rain location is Willett Hall.
- Contact Disability Resources, 395-1240.
- Academic Regalia?
Contact the Bookstore, 391-1240.
- Other Questions?
Contact Office of the President, 395-4806 or 395-2001
The Fun Part of Convocation
- Each senior asks an underclassman to serve as his/her little brother or sister (capper). The capper decorates the senior's mortarboard with mementos of the senior's Longwood experience and "caps" his/her senior at the appropriate time in the ceremony.
- Each senior may have ONLY ONE CAPPER.
- Seniors may elect to cap each other or not have a capper
- Cappers bring the decorated caps or the senior brings his/her own cap.