The Longwood University Speaking Center provides one-on-one peer coaching to all Longwood University students interested in improving their public speaking skills. Services are designed to help our clients further develop their oral communication confidence and competence.
Assistance is offered in the preparation and delivery of speeches and development of knowledge and skill in interpersonal communication.
Services are by appointment only. Please call x2393 or x2050 for scheduling. Please book appointments a minimum of 3 days prior to date of desired service.
What to Bring to a Speaking Center Session
- Your teacher's instructions for the oral communication assignment, note cards, visual aids, outline or anything else you have worked on
- The grading rubric for the assignment, if provided
- Questions to ask the consultant or problems you want to discuss
What Speaking Center Consultants Provide
- Personalized assistance with projects at any stage
- Feedback tailored to oral communication assignments required by instructors across disciplines
- Help in developing strategies for improvement
- Support in helping to manage stage fright (communication apprehension)
- Assessment and feedback for the improvement of delivery (eye contact, gestures, body movement, voice, etc.)
What Speaking Center Consultants Don't Do
- Compose, write, or edit speeches for students
- Prepare visual aids
- Guarantee a perfectly composed and/or delivered presentation
- Guess (or second guess) grades or teachers' evaluations